MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Hey everyone,

I've recently picked up a 96' WR250 as my first bike. I can't find any info as to wether the WR engine is built to the same specs as the YZ engines of the same period, as far as timing, intake, etc. is concerned. Is this engine detuned like the current thumper WRF's as compared to the YZF's? If so, I'm in no way looking to up the power of the engine as this is my first bike and I'm far from being able to outride it. I'm just curious if what I'm feeling is a full-spec YZ250 two-stroke engine or something detuned for smoother trail riding. Thanks a lot all!

~JuGGz

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
my friend has a 97 WR250. I think the motor in it is the same as the early 90s YZ, but I think it has a longer rod. other than that, I dunno.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
If it had a longer rod and the same bore as a YZ250, wouldn't it have a larger displacement than 250cc? MY guess is that dave196 is right, but the bore is smaller and the stroke is larger than a YZ250 of the same year. This configureation would make the bike easier to ride in the woods. Hope this helps.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
nope, not a longer crank, a longer rod, so the bore and stroke are exactly the same. If I remember right, i think you usetacould get a long rod kit for the older YZs, where you put a spacer under the cylinder. Surely someone here is a yamaha expert?

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Now Im not totally sure but I believe that the motor is identical save for restrictors in exhaust (easily removed and voila one YZ250 pipe) and wide spaced gear ratios. My friend rides a 97 model its a nice bike, love the power delievery smooth and heaps of it.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I used too have a 89 yzwr250, the only thing i thought was differnet was the gearbox (WR-wide ratio) i swapped the gears.. Plus the bike had a kighting coil for a headlight..
Rick

92cr

May 18, 2002
The 94-97 WR250's are based on the 94 YZ.Differences are carb,tranny ratios[all of them],and lighting coil.95 and newer YZ's have a different cylinder which will interchange but I'm guessing you'd have to use the 95 pipe.Many riders and racers of the newer YZ's actually prefer the 94 cylinder which your bike has.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
94 to 97 wr's are based on the93/ 94 yz ,95yz's powervalve is trying to do more from the basic design and the 96 yz changed its frame and plastic. How it affected the bike or all of the details changing from these prevalent changes I am not sure. The only diferrence between the 94 wr and yz is wide ratio transmission, lighting coil, different tank and seat , an oring chain,rear wheel size,suspension settings, and probably a spark arrestor but not sure. As the yz's evolved the wr didnt except for maybe the Keihin carb and suspension settings. According to some people the 94-97 wr power would be a better motocrosser than a 96 yz and the 96 yz is an easier trail rider than the wr because of the way the yz cylinders and exhaust valves changed. You can easily bolt on the cylinder of any of these bikes as the engine cases and pistons are the same. But would be very expensive to match all parts , reed valve, head,exhaust valves,pipe and possibly ignition timing<cdi>to have parts that are designed to work with each other properly for decent power. Yet it is relatively cheap to modify<port ,head and powervalve mods> to have them feel all the same.

interesting note is that the wr stator with a lighting coil is actually cheaper than a yz stator with no lighting coil. As with some of the different parts that are actually interchangeable with no performance loss or modification.<my parts guy loved me with all these questions when i was bugging him :eek: >

I am in no way an expert but I have done a little bit of research by my reading of Eric Gorr's performance handbook,studying parts microfiches, bugging my yamaha dealer, and the rare occurance of me actually buying a part that is not an actual 94 yz part becasue one of the other years/ models was cheaper

dog

Oct 4, 2000
The last 2 posts are correct about the changes between the YZ and WR, so I won't repeat them here. There is slightly more flywheel effect on the WR due to the extra weight of the lighting coil, but it is not much. The WR is definately not detuned, and you don't notice an increase in power between a YZ and the WR. The 94-97 WR250 motor is VERY strong and will hang with any modern 250 motocrosser. The biggest improvements have been in ergonomics. The WR's large gas tank, low stock bars, and seat make the riding position too far back for most riders. I put a YZ tall seat, taller bars, forward triple clamp, YZ radiator spacers, and a 3.0 gallon aftermarket YZ tank to fix the ergonomics. This is expensive and a lot of work, but I loved everthing else about the bike, and now it works great for me. This makes the bike slimmer, better standing position, and up-to-date ergos. This is a great bike, that is often underrated.

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
You guys are awesome, thanks a lot for all of the info. It's comforting to know that this beast is at full power, and that it doesn't really get much more brute (besides a 500) :scream:

I'm thinking of getting a YZ tank to get some more seat room and to get rid of the nutblocker WR tank that's on there right now once I get a better feel for this bike. Thanks for all the ideas!

~JuGGz

maxxiss

Feb 13, 2009
96 Wr 250

hey i also just picked up a 96 WR 250 for a bike and the plastic is pretty messy, does any one know were i can get some new stuff with out ordering direct from yamaha? itll cost me and arm and a leg. any help would be appreciated :blah:

Top Bottom