Singularo

Oct 15, 2000
Hi All,

Been out for another thrash on the weekend on the XR, and found (again) that the front end is very harsh.

I know about arm pump and all that, but I suspect that the front end on the XR could be tweaked to be a bit nicer overall.

I'm not against spending a little money to get some mods done, but I guess my question is, will it make THAT MUCH difference?

Its a 96 model XR 250, with no mods at all as far as I can see.

I weigh in at 60kilos, and am a medium aggressive rider.

Any suggestions/comments on the best mods per buck would be appreciated.

TIA

Singularo

Oct 15, 2000
Hi Jeremy,

I'm not sure off the top of my head, I'll confirm tonight when at home, and post, but to give you an idea, it has air bleeders at the top of the forks, and no other adjustments.

At the bottom, it has a big hex/allen key thing, which I _think_ is just a cover for the real adjustment which is inside. Until I find out for sure (and get a 14mm ish hex wrench), i'm reluctant to take that bit off ;-/

TIA

Singularo

Oct 15, 2000
Hi Jeremy,

Well, looked at the forks, but i cant see any identifying marks, can you tell me how to identify which ones they are?

TIA

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
The hex bolt at on the bottom of the forks isn't an adjuster. Its the bolt that holds the damper rod in place. I don't think those forks have any adjustments besides oil height/weight and different spring rates.

Singularo

Oct 15, 2000
Hi Buzz,

that was my concern, if thats the damper rod bolts, then i'm glad I didnt try and remove it :)

But they can still be made better with gold valves and the like ?

Or is it better to try and source a CR 125 front end to whack on.. ?

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
singularo
96 xr 250 needs .43 kg springs to balance out the bike . And aftermarket
piston and valving can definatly improve damping .the hexbolt on the bottom
of the fork does have a compression adj.. :)

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
MX Tech/96'XR250

I also have the 96' XR250 and was dissatisfied with the sloppy suspension performance.MX tech's suspension work made all the difference in the world with this "notoriously soft" suspension.My riding buddies noticed the difference our first trip in the woods after the modification...they were so used to seeing me one the ground.They told me I should "kiss" the guy that worked on my suspension.Well...forget about the kiss...but I did tell him thanks.:D

tristan18au

Jun 3, 2001
the diff between the 400 and 250 is that the 400 has 43mm showas and the 250 are 41mm kaybas.
have you bled the air out of the forks? put the bike on a stand with the front wheel raised and release the screws on the top of the forks. then do them back up (DUH!) if there was any air come out it will have caused sloppiness in the fork.
then try playing with the rebound adjusters on the bottom of the fork. remove the ruber plates with a flat head screw driver.
good luck

Singularo

Oct 15, 2000
96 XR250 front end performance

AH ha! Just went and took a look at this, yes, the little plastic bits do pop out, and inside is compression adjusters (so the plastic bit says), not rebound.
Mind were set on 16 clicks out from full soft (not sure whethere to count from soft or hard), with a limit of 23 clicks to full hard.

Since i found it harsh, I might try a few clicks softer next time I ride.

Top Bottom