96 YZ 80 Bottom end rebuild

KTM-Lunatic

~SPONSOR~
Mar 2, 2000
My son did a good job on his bike last week. when I wasnt watching he deided to play submarine on his bike. Well It quit I wasnt sure why Got home dint think about bike quiting. Changed oil it was white and full of sand ($#^^$%%) and other foul words. Well the bottom rod bearing seized , Local shop wants $400 to rebuild bottom end I feel that is high Can any one give advise on this If I had Instructions Im sure I can rebuild the bottom end but I have never split a case before.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Well the first source of info is a shop manual...(best $20.00 bucks you can spend) and as a supplement to that info go to Eric Gorrs web page and look at the articles on bottom end rebuilds (he puts it all in plain english). Thats my 2 cents worth...I just split the cases on my 250 and its not that bad...but I will get a shop to rebuild the crank for me (the most critical part of the operation)
For the average backyard mechanic it should only take 1 or 2 days.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Not a hard job if you keep thing organized. The shop manual is a "must". A case splitting tool, clutch hub holder and flywheel puller is also necessary. An air impact wrench is helpful with getting a couple of big nuts off.

These engines and transmissions are suprisingly simple and you shouldn't have any problems. Ditto what mackay said about having a shop rebuild the crank - that or buy a new crank assembly as I did.

In our case the project was a great opportunity to teach my sons how a two stroke engine worked. In fact they were "hands-on" through the whole process and we all learned how to rebuild the engine together.

Have fun with it!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…