'96 YZ shock external rubber bumper.

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I noticed yesterday that my rubber bumper on my shock was torn in two and the rubber looks detrioated (sp) Is replacing this something I could do or does it require internal disassembly? I notice the (I think rebound adj on the yolk.) These adusters make me think that I may have more involved than I want to mess with.

Thanks,
JIM

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
My manual does't go into the shock disassembly.

Do you mean by taken apart, that the stinger needs to come out of the shock?
Or can I talk the end off? (after removing the spring) to replace the bumper.
Also where can I get a new bumper. My dealer says that he can't order just the bumper.

Thanks,
Jim

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
You can install it by taking the clevis off the end of the shaft but you need to let the nitro press off and have some good aluminum v-blocks to hold the shaft. You then have to make sure & time the clevis back on the shaft so you have the right amount of rebound clicks.

Your best bet tho would be to take the shock apart so you could service it at the same time.

doc

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
Thanks!

If I get the aluminum to hold the shaft could I rig it into a clamp to hold the rod slightly compressed so I don't have to release the nitro pressure?

By the way, where can I get the rubber bumper.

Thanks again,
Jim

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
You can get the shock bumpers from Race Tech.

I would advise you to take the shock apart and change the oil and the bumper rather than undo the clevis, without dumping the nitrogen. As you sound a little unsure, it would probably be best to get a shop to do it. Things can BADLY wrong if you screw it up.

Just my .02

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
Sounds like good advice.
Kiwi,
I live in So. Il. So it would take weeks to get any service done here. I only get off on weekends once a month. So I would prefer to do any internal servicing in the winter when I tear down.

Do you think my idea of clamping will allow me to replace the bumper?

Thanks

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
Please inform anyone that is thinking of taking the yolk off the end of the kyb shock: Do not do....(Unless you have the wherewithall to recharge with nitrogen) because it will loose the oil and you will have to have the shock disassembled and refilled and recharged.

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
You all are right. I'm a stubborn dummy.

I just hated to spend the money if I could do it myself. $95

I had to drive 120 mi. to get it done locally, so I could ride the only weekend a month I get off.

Lesson learned.
Jim

Top Bottom