Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
My dads 96cr250 has some really stiff steering. The bars have a decent(noticible) amount of resistance when you turn them. Could the bearings just need a relube or could they be roasted? I want to inspect them. How much do you tighten the bolt that requires a spanner wrench to remove? Ive read you need to just finger tighten it. Is this true? Also what is the torque value for the big bolt under the handlebars? Is 65ft/lbs correct?

rc331

Jun 18, 2002
The bearings might just need a lube but if they haven't been lubed regularly chances are good they are rusted and will need to be replaced along with the bearing races and seals. 65 ft/lbs sounds about right for the steering stem nut but you should check on this. As far as the lower stem nut goes I like to tighten it up until some resistance is felt when you turn the bars back and forth (with the wheel off the ground) then just back it off enough so the wheel will turn to the side by itself if you move it a bit off center. Hope this helps

rc331

Jun 18, 2002
Hmmm.....can't edit my previous post. I forgot to add that when you tighten the top steering stem nut this puts added pressure on the lower one and you may have to remove the top triple clamp again and back the lower nut off a bit if the steering ends up too tight and the wheel won't turn off to the side by itself after you have tightened the top nut.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It will be obvious if they are toasted. Pitted and rusty are good indications that they are bad. You have to change the bearings and races as a set.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I just checked rockymountain mc and they have a steering stem rebuild kit that has the bearings and what i guess are the seals. This wouldnt include the races would it?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yes it would include the races. The upper and lower outer races can be pounded off with a long drift punch. Slowly work your way around the race, tapping just a bit so it comes out straight. The upper bearing (with the inner race attached) will just lift off.

The fun one is the lower bearing. It is pressed on the stem and can sometimes be pryed off but not usually. There is a tool to remove it and your local shop could do it for you for a small charge or for free if you have a good relationship with them.

Top Bottom