97 ATK 260 Enduro compression

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Anyone know what the compression should be on a 97 ATK 260lq? We got 120psi (throttle WO, cold engine, gas off). Dealer thought it might be a little low, but wasn't sure of the actual specs. Bike seems to run well except when it gets hot (starting troubles - another post!)

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. - I posted this up on the ATK forums, but as you can imagine that site doesn't receive the traffic that this one does!

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Most bikes I've seen get between 190-215 on a new top end, cold, WFO....120 does sound on the low side.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Most likely. How many hours do you have on that top end? Most bikes that size require at least an inspection every 25hrs if not new rings/piston.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Previous owner said 5-6 rides ago he "did a top end job", and I've had one good ride on it. If cleaning up the carb doesn't remedy my situation I'll look into at least some new rings, if not piston and rings. Thanks for the help!

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Well, I had two good rides this week - 28 and 18 miles. After a "quick and dirty" carb clean/inspection, all seems to be well with my machine. I think part of my hot start troubles were just me not being used to the bike. I can usually get it to fire on the first kick now. The bike is running well at the low and mid range, and once the PV opens up it's a real screamer. Maybe it just needed to be ran some - it had been sitting for a couple of months before I bought it. It still probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check on rings/piston - who knows what I could be missing!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…