craig

Jan 7, 2002
Hi all,

I have a '97 KDX220. A while back, I bought a rear wheel that was supposedly for an '00 or '01 KDX220. I went to install it last night, and when I got to switching the brake rotors over, I found that the two wheels have different sized brake rotor bolts. I was under the impression that there were no changes other than "Bold New Graphics" from '97 to current on the KDX...

I'm wondering if Kawasaki switched to smaller bolts as a weight savings, or if maybe the PO of my '97 drilled & tapped the hub to accept larger bolts when istalling the aftermarket brake rotor (unknown make)...

If you could do a very quick favor for me, I'd appreciate it. Can you check your brake rotor bolts and let me know if it takes a 5mm or 6mm allen wrench to remove them, and let me know what year your bike is? This will help me clear up what year wheel I have, and what route I need to go to get a functional brake rotor on the bike. Unfortunately, the rotor on the new-to-me wheel is badly warped.

thanks!
Craig
cfaison@electricnixon.com

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Are you saying that the bolt thread size is different, or just the hex-head size at the top? Use the parts diagrams at www.buykawasaki.com to confirm the bolt p/n. I doubt that Kawasaki changed them. They are the same for the 95-02 200s. The bolt itself is a metric M8 x 15mm. It may be that the previous owner replaced the bolts with one that accepts a different size allen wrench (but still an M8 bolt).

craig

Jan 7, 2002
The bolt diameter is different. The newer wheel that I have has M6 bolts as opposed to the M8 bolts in my 97 wheel.

I mentioned the allen head size difference, as it would be an easy way for people to do a quick check.

I'm wondering if it's a KX wheel... I'll go do some diagram checking at buykawasaki.com.

FWIW, everything else fits/measures the same. I have the wheel mounted now, and it works fine. I was able to fabricate (read: rig) spacers to make it all work, but I'd like to know what wheel I have.

thanks,
Craig

craig

Jan 7, 2002
Hi all,

I just took a look at buykawasaki.com, and yep, the '97 - '02 KDX220 uses the same rear rotor & bolts. Based on the drawings, it looks like the newer wheel that I bought has the correct bolts & bolt holes in the hub.

I'll have to assume that the PO either drilled/tapped the bolt holes to accept a brake rotor meant for another bike, or used a rim from something else. Looking at the drawings, it appears that a KX rim uses tapered bolts as well, so it's probably not a KX wheel - at least not a '98+, as that's all that I checked.

Either way, I know that my new (round) wheel is correct, so that's good. We'll see how my homemade solution works, but I may end up buying a correct rotor as well.

Craig

craig

Jan 7, 2002
It is an 18" wheel, I didn't realize that the KX uses a 19". Good point.

How recently did KX's start using 19" rear wheels?

thanks,
Craig

Top Bottom