97 cr 250 (need help with forks)

Hadar

Sep 6, 2003
Hello, I'm new to the forums here, Seems like a very respectable site. Anyways, I just got my cr last month (1997) as a much needed upgrade from a kx 250 (1979). Maby I'm just used to old "BLOWN OUT" suspension , But this cr rides rough to me. The front end just pounds my arms to jelly,and I'm in alot of pain after riding all day. It seems the bike is setup take on 9000 ft. jumps or something. I would like help setting the forks up to optimal performance for my weight (210 lbs) and rideing style which is modest compared to most mx riders. I would like to get it to absorb every little bump rather than channel them through my arms. Can this be fixed by S - H screws on bolth the top and the bottom of each fork or could there be more to it? If it is a simple adjustment I would like to know how this works. I know softer & harder but where do I start? Is the bottom one differen't from the top one? Any hints or suggestions would be greatly apperciated.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Man, that brings back some memories, I had one of those bikes. First, Make sure the fork is properly centered in the axle clamps. If it is not properly centered , it makes that bike even harder on the arms than it already is.
Like Marcus said , the bike needs a good revalve . The mid-valve needs to be lightened considerably to help out with taming the jaring your arms recieve.
Also a top triple clamp with rubber mounts for the bars also work wonders.

Hadar

Sep 6, 2003
Ya, I'm going to do the revalve or at least have it done. Today I adjusted the compression and the rebound all the way to "s". I also moved the handlebars a bit closer to me so they were not so far out of reach and the bend feels better on my wrists. It's better but still a bear. I took a look at the rear shock Which was also verry stiff for my riding style and took some of the tension off the spring. It seemed to help. the "jam nuts" are about in the middle of the threads now, maby a bit higher than the middle of them. I'm lookin for a plush ride. Remember I used to ride a bike that actualy had a seat. (LOL) This bike is awsome though it's verry hard to keep the front end down. But I don't think thats a suspension problem as much as it is the fact that this thing just runs hard. It just kills my brothers husqvarnas and they are not weak 250(s) But anyways, while adjusting the rear spring tension I discoved that my sub-frame was broken on one side and cracked on the other. So, I guess it's off to the tig welder for repair. might be a good time to do that revalve,huh. Thanks guys, I'll be around. HADAR

Top Bottom