97 cr 250 or 97 rm 250

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In good condition, perhaps $1,500+-.

I had a '99 CR that was well set up for enduro, and it was excellent on the trail. Rider preference plays a big part, but stone stock, the '97 CR may have harsh suspension and the power delivery may be a little strong for single track, but you could say the same thing about almost all 250 MX bikes. It's all in the set-up.

YZer125er

Jan 17, 2009
I would say the honda, but like dave said, all the 250mx bikes are gonna be pretty much the same, and the way u set it up will be up to you.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
If you are going to modify it, I'd say the CR; I rode DBDave's, which was modified extensively, and was the finest, best thought-out and complete setups I've ever had the pleasure of piloting. Were it not for the close-ratio trans, I'd own it today.

(I had another intermediate vet. friend that bought a new '97 CR when they came out. He gave it a go for almost a year then got rid of it. He hated the harsh suspension, abrupt and mostly top-end power, and vibration of the 1st-gen Al frame - said it beat him up/wore him out. He's a Honda guy too, and a good tuner (does his own suspension). He used it for off road (grand prix, vet MX; hated it for trail riding.)

If you are going to do some simple mods, then go for the Zook; the conventional forks are about the best to come from Japan for trail riding, and in a traditional Suzuki way it will turn on trails effortlessly (most anybody on any bike can go fast on straights). Put on a big tank, spark arrester, skid plate, hand guards, and Steahly fly wheel weight on and you are good to go. If you have some more cash, then add a stabilizer and a good turning bike is not a stable one.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I also had a '97 CR250, and can agree with what placelast said ... 1st gen aluminun frame a bit harsh and the power was more a "road racer" oriented top end powerband.

But that bike had a few good qualities too - the soft low end made for good hook up at low speeds and the frame could be an aquired taste. Even modern aluminum frames are stiffer than the steel ones. Overall, the CR250 was a reliable bike and pretty quick (not really important for trail riding).

I can't remember the exact years, but I believe the Zooks were sucessful offroad (when modified for that) under the piloting of Rodney Smith and others. Maybe Placelast can give more exact details, since he's a Suzuki aficionado.

If I were buying, I'd go for whatever bike is in the nicest condition (seeing that these are 12 year old bikes).

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…