NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
I'm stuck- Was all set to change the front pads on 97 CR250, manual says to "remove pin plug" and then unscrew the bottom caliper pin using a hex key or torx key to take out the slider pin which retains the bottom foot of the pads.
The "plug" is a dark metal slug which has a crude "slot" milled into it. I tryed using the slot as a screwdriver slot, no good. I tryed to pull it out with needle nose, no good. And, I tried to use a punch and hammer to get under the perimeter and pry it out- no good.
Question is, how is the friggin thing supposed to be removed?

thanks in advance,
Greg

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's screwed in..

It's a metal plug with threads on it, prying and whatnot is not going to work.

It sounds as if yours is frozen in.. You need to spray some PB Blaster or something similar on it, and let it sit, they
have another go at it with a screw driver.

NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
Let it sit with the penetrating oil and still no-go with the screwdriver. I picked up "as seen on TV" the ProGrabit screw extractor- It works great! Backed the plug right out, definately recommend it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Replace your OEM style, allen head w/slot pin with a Moose hex head pin. You will alwasy be able to turn it then.

Attachments

• hex head.jpg
    hex head.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 213

NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
That's sweet! I'm gonna grab some now. The stock pins are a little chewed up from previous brake pad changes. My buddy says he puts a dab of silicone over the hole to keep the crud out of the threads and it comes right out with a pick.

tcuda499

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
believe it or not,brake fluid is great for rusty nuts,bolts,slides,and ect....Use it all the time in the shop,esp. for frozen O2 and A/F sensors.

Top Bottom