SoderholmD

Feb 7, 2002
I'm doing my first 2 stroke top end install (piston / rings / pins / gaskets). How hard should it be to put the piston pin back into the new piston? It's very tight / and has been properly lubed with full synth Amsoil 2 stroke. Also - what do you use to press the pin in if it is that tight? Finally getting to this install, after having 2 kids in 3 years to go along with our first :yikes: .

Anyway, any help and advice would be great (It's a wiseco overbore kit from Eric)!!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Piston pin should push in with your thumb, applying moderate pressure. I had one once where I had to beat it in with a hammer and 3/8" socket extension and never felt comfortable with it. After about a year with no real problems I put in a new piston kit where the pin fit properly (of course I had to beat the old one out, too).
Did this pin come with the piston?? In my case, I was using a brand new, old Wiseco piston from about 1980 that did not come with the wrist pin and so I was using the old wrist pin from the previous piston, hence the fit problem. I fear shattered piston skirt could happen from too tight of wrist pin, but as I said, I never actually had that happen.

SoderholmD

Feb 7, 2002
The piston pin came with the Wiseco piston kit I received from Eric. It definately pushes harder than moderate thumb pressure! The old one came out fairly hard also - could it just be a Wiseco thing? I'm just worried about damaging the bearing surface on the pin or piston?!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Don't really think it's a Wiseco thing because every kit I ever got from them with the pin included fit very nicely. If it takes a pounding to go in, I'd probably return the piston and pin and ask for another. It's possible the pin is just slightly out of round or tolerance, which sometimes does happen. Might place a call to Eric's shop and ask their advice.

Top Bottom