scotter

May 30, 2003
My sons kdx is running very poorly and it came on suddenly. It will not pull strongly from migrange on will just flatten out and will not rev higher. Almost acts like a governer is on the bike in all gears. Have checked KIPPS and is working at least the valve moves from half throttle on,carb is ok and compression is 103. it is putting out more black sooge out the back also. Has always been a strong runner and very clean. They did use different gas and oil on the riding they did over the weekend but the other KDX ran fine. Any ideas I am stumped???

Scott

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
When I bought my '91 it was flat also. The compression is definitely too low. Many other things could cause a total loss of power. If the compression went, also check the reeds. You could've sucked in a bit of reed. Make sure your pipe is flowing freely. Clean the arrestor and air filter. From there if your still flat, come back here for other ideas. That should be a good start though.

scotter

May 30, 2003
Ok am putting on different pipe today and will check the reeds,am probably going to do these 2 things first before trying piston.

Thanks

Scott

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by scotter
...is it normal for a 2 stroke to go flat like this? 

Yes, it can happen for a number of reasons. Cracked reeds mentioned above is one reason. Another reason would be a broken ring or a ring/piston that has been scored by dirt or some other debris entering the combustion chamber.

Top Bottom