wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
How does this bike compare to the red-blue-yellow-greenies? Any thing to watch, or be concerned about? Does it handle like the late model KTM's? Pricey parts, etc? May pick one up as a spare bike-any help would be appreciated!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
The beloved hydraulic clutch didn't show up on the 250s until '99, plus the PDS shock has been constantly improved since it was introduced. If you can find one a couple years newer, you may want to hold out.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
A good buy

Lori-
The only reason Im even thinking about it is that it seems like a good deal for a second bike. Otherwise Im happy enough w/ the 426.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Ah, yes, a "second" bike. :D Watch out, you might like it so much that it becomes your "first" bike!

KTMMIKE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 27, 2000
If you can get a good buy on it I would say go for it. The 97s were well suspended; 50mm Zokes & Ohlins shock & a great motor....very easy to ride. Parts won't be a big deal at all.

There was not a 250MXC in '97 though. Only SX & EXC in the 250cc.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
A good buy?

Mike,
Thanks, I thought I was buying an MXC, but I guess its an SX, (no lights).
It seems like a good buy, but there is some work to be done. Inside of a few hundred bucks, I would have a really sweet mx'er. Always wanted a pumpkin, so this might be my chance. I would imagine the suspension would be soft for me, (225lbs), correct? What would you recommend, and who should I use for mail ordering parts?

KTMMIKE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 27, 2000
At 225 it would be a little soft for you. I would say .46 in the forks & 5.8 shock spring.

Also it could be an EXC with no lights. If you know the VIN I would be able to tell you what it is for sure. Alot of guys, at least in this area, who have EXCs remove the lights.

As far as parts are concerned check any of the sponsors to the left. I don't know if any of them are KTM dealers or not. However they do sponsor this website & deserve the first shot.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Mike-
From what i hear, the bike has a large tank-would this mean it is an EXC? I believe they are the same weight as the SX anyway, give or take a few lbs. It does have the front number plate, and I dont know if its a SX?

KTMMIKE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 27, 2000
It's an indication it's an EXC if it has a large tank. It should also have an 18" rear wheel. Also the '97 EXC's subframe extended underneath the rear fender quite aways;like a few inches from the rear of the fender. Of course all this could have been changed. The best way to tell is the VIN.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Thanks!

Thanks alot Mike. I may call you if thats ok-just in case I need a little more info. You seem very familiar w/ these rides. I need as much info as possible before I buy the bike.
Would the differences in the SX/EXC be a wide ratio tranny, 18" rear wheel, etc?

Top Bottom