Paintslinger

Mar 16, 2002
Local KTM dealer has a 1997 KTM 300 EXC. He wants $2300 for it. Has new topend, rear brakes, hand gaurds (one is slightly broken), aftermarket front suspension, brake snake, very good rubber.

All plastic intact, although very faded (no decals). Trip meter doesn't work.

Sound like a good deal? or what? I am new to dirt riding, own a street bike now. Want to get "OffRoad"!

trailmeister

Nov 13, 2001
Sounds like a decent price IF it is in super condition...i bought my '96 300 last summer for 2200, and it was in superb condition with a ton of extra parts.

Paintslinger

Mar 16, 2002
Thanks for the reply...

Thanks for the reply. I have been told that this may be TOO much bike for me to start out with. What do you think.
Have also found out that the suspension has been sent off, and set up for motocross. From what I understand, this made the suspension alot "stiffer". I will be riding in the woods.
I have experience riding motor cycles on the street, not off road.
I am six ft tall, 200lbs.

I was originally thinking of buying a 200 - 250.

Thanks

trailmeister

Nov 13, 2001
Yes, i would say that you MAY have an issue with "too much bike" here, ( no offense to you, as i would be the same with a road bike as i haven't ridden one of them in 20 years too...) , however, look at the 200's as that would be a perfect first timer...and then go for the 300 as they are probably the absolute best all around demanding bike.

Paintslinger

Mar 16, 2002
Thanks

No offense taken. I appreciate the honest feedback. I would hate to spend the money on a bike that I would get frustrated (or hurt), trying to ride.

Thanks again:aj:

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
im 5' 10" 190# and i think the 200 has pleanty power
and it dose ot make you tired as fast as a bigger bike

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Go for the 300, fat torquey power its easy to use and delivered in a very linear powerband in that model (they get more bitey in the middle on the newer models). I hadn't ridden in 10 years. I bought one a couple of years back and I found it a confidence inspiring bike. The only hills it wont go up is the one I cant ride up.
And its got the top end when you need it. Im 6ft 1inch and 2oo-210 pounds. They are a good bike.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
I bought a 97 250 EXC, and I think the 300 would be a great bike for a beginner. My 97 had good power, and very controllable, and the 300s I've ridden were the same, just more on the bottom.

More power on the bottom is very helpful to a beginner. It allows you to slowly approach an obstacle then torque your way over it. With less power you have to get over the object with speed instead of torque, which means you need to be a better rider.

I think the 300 would be a great choice for a beginner. I just bought a new 300.

Top Bottom