firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I am looking at purchasing a '97 360 exc for around $2000. It is in great shape, original owner with no aftermarket parts or mods. I am concerned about reliability and I dont want a bike I have to wrench on more than I ride. The '00 380 mxc is from a 50+ original owner, ridden less than 10 times and has a fmf gnarly pipe, new silencer and force 3 reed valve. This bike has been babied, but has a $3000 price tag. Grew up riding big bores (CR 250 and IT 490). I want a big that will destroy any hill and wheelie in any gear like these could but I can putt around with the kids as well. Again I want something reliable and trouble free. I am also considering a '03 250 exc or sx, just dont know if I want to spend that kind of money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ktmike55

Apr 25, 2002
go for the 380 the resale value of the 00 will be better a few years down the road! The frame geometry on the newer bikes is much better they turn and go where you point the bike if you can keep the front wheel on the ground have fun on the big bore.
CYA Mike

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I happend to of had a 97 300EXC and now have a 2000 300EXC

I would say the prices on both bikes seem a bit high to me - but if both are nice enough they may well be worth it.

the 2000 is the "next generation" of KTM from the 97. In relative terms, the 97 sorta seems ancient. Not that it is a bad bike however. The 2000 forks are considered some what harsh and a step back from the 99 models, but that can be addressed with a revalve (I did my own with a $40 kit I got off **** - well worth it!).

As to play riding with the kids, that is exactly what I did with both of my KTMs. Just dial in the jetting accordingly, soften up the compression dampening for more comfy kid pace "cush".

I say go for the 00, but talk the guy down on price. No matter how nice and little use it has had, it is 5 model years old...he should have some room on that price. then again..if it really is that like new....??

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
KTM Mike

Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward the '00. I dont mind paying a little more for a bike that has been well cared for. Its nice to know you can putt around with the kids on these bikes. I was considering a KDX 220 and the guys in that forum seem to think that the KDX is the way to go compared to the KTM, but I dont want to be on a bike that when I need the power it isnt there. I am 200lbs. and like to be able to attack any hill. I also dont want something that will tear up our 2 acre mx track that the kids ride on. If the KTM can putt around on the track and still tear it up in the woods then thats the bike I want.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
firffighter

Of course, over in the KDX forum they will say buy KDX! ...over here it is KTM all the way! (look at my sig - I have one of each in the garage - no loyalty here!)

Its not that either bike is bad - they are aimed at subltly different buyers. And as you are talking BIG KTMs - HUGE power diff vs a KDX (no replacement for displacement!). Now, a more fair comparison would be a KDX vs a 200 EXC. Again, the KTM is a bit more "serious" and race worthy of a bike, less a play bike - just in a smaller size.

Jet that big boy properly, and it will do about anything you ask of it!

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
thanks for all of the info. I will be getting a KTM, I'm just not sure which year or model. I might even consider a new one if I can get permission from the war department (aka wife). It seems the KTM is just more versitile and more aggresive. Can't wait to get on one and rip it up.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom