'97 KTM 620SX starting procedure????

ktmguy

Nov 10, 2001
I have a 97 KTM 620SX. This is my first stroker. Somebody please give me some tips on starting this left footed beast. Once I get it started and warmed up it starts on the first or second kick the rest of the day. I need some advice on starting it for the first time after it sets for a week or two. Also, after laying it over it takes forever to start again. Is that black knob behind the engine a hot start or what? The procedure I currently use is: gas on, choke on, decompression pulled in, kick through 5 times, release decomp., find TDC, pull decomp., barely go past TDC, release decomp., return kicker to top, and kick through. Repeat, starting at find TDC.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I don't know KTM's, but your technique sounds about right. I used to have the same cold starting problems with my stock carb, rejetted, XR400. It turns out the pilot was a bit lean, which made it hard to get fuel into the engine after it sat, but started great while out on the trail. I found that if I tip the bike over, holding it up with my knee for about 10 seconds, would flood the carb. Then, with the choke she would light up after a kick or two. Furthermore, you have to get a full stroke on the starter, and kick hard. I hop up, and bring all my weight down on the kickstarter.

Maybe tweak your fuel screw to richen up the bottom a bit, or go a step richer on your pilot. I think the tip over trick will work for you with your current set up. Good luck.

wagbarney

Aug 28, 2000
Cold Starting the 620

My '94 620 E/XC starts cold on the first kick every time using the TDC routine with the choke on and NO throttle. The slightest, inadvertant twist of the throttle will guarantee a no start. Where I do have a problem is with re-starting after laying it down. Today I wiped out hard going down a very steep hill after about 90 minutes riding, the bike ended up lying almost upside down on the hill. I righted it quickly but, despite my best efforts, I couldn't get it to fire up again. I wasn't ready to pack it in (despite the spill) but it appeared to be a lost cause and Hungry Valley was a cold and lonely place this morning with no assistance to be found.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
a friend of mine has a 620,dumped the stock carb in favor of a quicksilver,and has been a happy camper ever since:D :D

GBKTM

Nov 13, 2001
I don't know what carb the SX model has but my 97 620 RXC has a Quiksilver.
the Quiksilver sucks and the RXC's are electric start! I replaced with a CV Mikuni like on the new 640's. I am not sure what carb would be best for pure dirt work. If you ask a dealer about jetting problems with a Quiksilver most will tell you to chuck the carb in trash. mine was very inconsistent, started and ran good if the weather was warm. surges badly at constant throttle and will not tolerate whacking the throttle open without a stumble.

Just my experience,:p

Top Bottom