Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hey all, I have an opportunity to buy a 97 KX125 front end for my 06 KDX200. Clamps, forks and wheel etc. The 97 kx 125 forks only have a compression adjuster and no rebound adjuster. Is it worth the transplant or do you think I am better to do the shim stack mod or buy gold valves for my forks?

For those who have made a front end transplant, what forks are the best to use and easiest to fit?
Cheers.

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I would expect the 97 KX125 forks to have both rebound and comp. They should be 43 or 46mm KYB's.

If so, the swap is worth it. As far as fitment, you can send your triples (both sets) to RB and he will press fit the stem and make the appropriate spacers for you. This makes it a bolt on swap.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
1997 KX125 will have both rebound and compression.

Is your bike an AUS model? Does it not have a roll pin inside the steering stem?

juliend, you will now be glad you don't have set of AUS triple clamps... wait for it. :)

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
My triple clamps are not the roll pin type, but I will not be using my existing stuff to make them fit anyway. I will just buy a cheap stem off the net and use that. I am going to check the forks out tomorrow and will probably buy them. I spoke to the guy selling them and he says they DO have compression and rebound damping adjusters on them. Apparently they both have leaking fork seals so that is something I will have to fix before I use them.
As much as I disliked my KLX450 I must admit I sure do miss the suspension as it was stunning! If I can get my little KDX a just bit closer to that I will be pleased.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I think you'll love the KX forks. I think they'll be 46mm KYB's. I'm running a little bit older kyb 43's and absolutely love them.

roadkillrob

Mar 11, 2010
Those should work well, I just 99's on mine, they 97 was the same size 46mm forks, all you need to do is press the stem out of the lower triple and put your KDX one in it, then just bolt the front end on (you will need the wheel axle and spacers from the KX also, brake caliper should bolt right up. Only other thing you need is a little spacer for the top triple as the stem hole is a little bigger and the kdx stem is a bit longer, so needs a washer under the nut.

Go here for everything you need to know about putting kx forks on a kdx, many have already put 97 kx forks on a kdx, so read up on the kdxrider website and look at the fork conversion thread.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Cheers, for the info guys. I have joined KDXrider and am waiting for them to activate my account, as apparently they have to do it manually and I can't see stuff until they do.

Back to the forks.
I bought them and they are going to need some TLC, they appear to have been a bit neglected. The forks came with the KX125 wheel and axle etc, so I will just use the KX wheel.

roadkillrob

Mar 11, 2010
There is a sticky on the kdxrider site on KYB KX fork rebuilds, so print that out and go at the forks, they are pretty easy, only hard part is getting the bottom bolt out, an air wrench works well, the rebuild shows a Kawasaki tool need to hold the internals, but it is expensive and hard to get, most shops just use an air wrench.

My forks don't actually hit the tank, but some people have that issue, especially with the new 48mm forks. If you have the issue, you can just drill a small hole in the stops on the triple clamp, wrap a small piece of sheet metal around the stop and put a small rivet in it to hold it, that is usually enough to do the trick. The KX forks are about an inch longer also, so you will need to stick them up through the triples about an inch to get the bike level.

Good Luck on the swap - very good mod on the old KDX as the forks are equivalent to late 80's early 90's stuff, late 90's KX stuff is so much better and if you have ever had the front wheel in a rut, you will really appreciate loosing that fork underhang that catches on everything!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I dunno if you've ever torn into a set of forks before. If you haven't, the photo's of a rebuild can be a bit intimidating. Once you pull them apart though, you'll see it's really easy. If it were me, I'd go ahead and get bushings and seals before you pull them apart. I'm currently using ATF for fork oil, and have been pretty happy with it. Some good 5wt fork oil will probably be a better choice.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
roadkillrob said:
The KX forks are about an inch longer also, so you will need to stick them up through the triples about an inch to get the bike level.
Yes I noticed that and I will have to do as you suggest as I sure don't wan't a bike with a pushy front end.

I have looked up a video on youtube in regard to changing the seals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4

JD I have never heard of using ATF in the forks, what is your reasoning? I am always keen to be educated.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
No reason other than it's cheap and works well. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF equates to about 7.5 weight. Seems to hold up pretty well through along ride, as in not fading. It's fairly common practice. If you search around on the interwebs you'll find plenty of people doing the same and mostly liking the results. I'll likely switch to 5wt fork oil next time I change the seals just to compare, but I have no complaints on the ATF.

Top Bottom