dls

Nov 20, 2001
I took the cover off my bike and looked at the clutch, if it has what you guy's say a notch are you talking about the basket actually having notches in it? I pull my clutch lever and about 3-4 plates move is this normal working condition? I have never done a clutch before so pardon my ignorance. My bike had a problem stalling when you put it in gear and I am changing my impellar seals so I thought I would look at the clutch to see if there are any problems.
Any help is always welcome.

Thanks
DS

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
To see if your clutch basket is notched, you will have to remove the clutch plates.  Undo the bolts holding the metal plate and pull out the clutch plates. Pay attention to the order (metal first or fiber first). Your basket will have machined notches that the fiber plates' tabs fit into. The load-bearing surface of these notches was smooth when new, so that the tabs could slide in and out on them. The clutch works by the plates moving slightly apart when you pull in the lever, so that the metal plates attached to the crankshaft slip inbetween the fiber plates attached to the transmission.  When you release the clutch lever, the force of the springs push the plates together and they crankshaft power is passed on to the transmission.  If there are notches worn into the sliding surfaces of the basket, the plates won't move smoothly and your clutch may not disengage fully, causing stalling. You can file the notches out, but they will come back even sooner, due to the larger clearance in the tab notches allowing the tabs to slam around. Kawi's don't have the strongest baskets, so you may have to put in a new basket. Hinson and PE Performance make replacements that are much tougher than stock.

A shop manual, (do a search for clymer's ) will be the best money you ever spent on your bike.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Yes when you see the "fingers" of the clutch basket notched out where the tangs of the fiber plates ride is what most people mean when they say the clutch basket is notched. Ideally they should be smooth and straight so as stated earlier the plates can move freely.

here is a few other things to check also;
clutch lever,perch and cable, make sure that they are all in good operating condition adjusted correctly and properly routed.

make sure that the basket or the inside hub isn't notched

make sure that the clutch plates or the pressure plate aren't warped or having the clutch material break off the fiber plates and stuck to the metal plates< although I have never actually seen this on wet clutches I have seen it on dry clutches>

make sure that there isn't a broken spring,plate or some other foriegn material preventing the pressure plate to release fully when you pull the lever

worn clutch basket bearings,loose retaining nut could allow the clutch to drag by stealing the force used to release the pressure plate in the sloppiness. Usually the bike would be vibrating,rattling while idling in neutral and quiets down when pulling in the clutch.

the only thing that would be left would be the clutch arm/pushrod assembly.
depending on the bike some of these have adjustments or can be assembled ina specific manner to operate correctly.
Your manual should be able to give you the information you need to be able to check all of this . Hope this helps

aboriginal 1

Nov 30, 2014
Hello guys I have the same problem .just brought new fibers and wise-co baskett soked the plates in oil over night. But wen I put plates and pruser plate back in its like there is to much pruser and wont go to nutrul.but wen plates are out works fine .....pleas help

Top Bottom