cover3

Nov 17, 2006
If anyone here knows, can some one tell me all the pros and cons of the 97 kx250. I can get one for about 2500, near mint. But I read reviews and some people say its all trouble and other say its very reliable. Thanks. :ride:

Jul 9, 2007
Well Im not sure reliabilty wise but the KX 250 in 97 and 98 was generally regarded as the 250 to have. It had an awesome engine and great suspension for its day. Many people actually prefered these bikes over the 99-02 chassies.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
KX's were the bikes that won the shootouts in 97/98. A friend of mine had both a green dealership and a nice track. So probably 15 guys I knew had 25 or so 95's and up. Great bikes, little things like the levers, kickstarter, etc apparently weren't made of the best metal as they wore and the suspension (which worked well) took a lot of time to keep it up. No one had any unusual failures, and my 97 which I handed down to a 15 year old ran well for soooo many hours. I then bought a 2000 which caused no problems in four years.

Jul 9, 2007
Alot of people rip on Kawis claiming that they are horrible for reliability. Well I keep up on regular maintence on mine, jetted it right, and I have never had a horrible failure on me. The worse thing that happened is that the linkage bearings seized up but repacking them full of nice quality grease after working the crud out of them did the trick! It also fouled spark plugs now and then, I got the hell off the Klotz BeNol and jetted according to PC specs and it hasnt missed a beat since!

Ive seen all kinds of other bikes, even newer ones then mine, which are poorly maintained and they break alot and run like garbage. Dirt bikes are subjected to some of the worse conditions imaginable for mechanical things and they need to be maintenced regularly! I dont care if its a Kawasaki or a KTM or whatever, you abuse them, you dont service them, they are gonna feel like junk real quick!

So if its near mint and you keep it near mint yourself, chances are you will have a nice reliable bike.

Oh and 2500 for a 97 seems a bit high, even a mint one. I assume you are talking in dollars.

Jul 9, 2007
Oh one more thing, do be careful not to over tighten any of the bolts that hold on the plastics or levers or anything, like the OKKXer man said some of the bolts on the Kawis actually are pretty cheesy (mostly the ones that I described, the major ones like on critical components seem much beefier) cast aluminum and I broke a few with pretty small torque on them. Yeah and also watch the same bolts because they like to back out from time to time too, a little locktite wont hurt!

Fracture

Jul 6, 2007
In Canada, used mx bikes are priced pretty steeply compared to the US. And bikes like XR's are even worse. 5 years old, and asking $500-1000 less than they were brand new...

I picked up a 93 CR250 last week, and paid $1900 for it (w/new tires, chain & sprockets, brakes). It probably only has about 75 hours on it though. Farmer had it and rode it twice a year. Granted, he did absolutely no maintenance on it, and I'm in the process of doing the top end now.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
In Canada, used mx bikes are priced pretty steeply compared to the US. And bikes like XR's are even worse. 5 years old, and asking $500-1000 less than they were brand new...

I picked up a 93 CR250 last week, and paid $1900 for it (w/new tires, chain & sprockets, brakes). It probably only has about 75 hours on it though. Farmer had it and rode it twice a year. Granted, he did absolutely no maintenance on it, and I'm in the process of doing the top end now.

what part of sk are you in, Fracture?

Top Bottom