rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Two weeks ago I was racing in the first district enduro of the year, UMC 'not so tuff" enduro (D37). I got messed up, nose dived into a gulley and managed to crush the gas tank. Even have helmet cam video of it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/RodMcInnis#p/a/u/0/-nAy87KxMEI

Have you ever rode 20 miles soaked in gasoline? Not fun.

A little (OK, a LOT) of duct tape, a change of clothes and I was able to complete the second loop, but it is looking like my trusty old steed may be down for the count as finding a new tank has been a lot more difficult than I had considered.

I can find new tanks for an 89-93 WR250, but not the '94 to '97 model.

After poking around for a while I have found several references to a '94 to '97 WR250 is able to use the same gas tank as a '93 to '95 IF the YZ seat is also used.

I am pretty sure that my bike had an oversized IMS tank. It is definitely large and was translucent, quite different than the image of the stock tank on the exploded parts diagrams. Unfortunately, IMS doesn't list a tank for my bike. Nor does Clarke.

Does anyone have first hand experience with WR250 vs YZ125 gas tanks / seats?

I am considering buying a used stock tank off Ebay, but if I have the YZ seat then its not going to work.

I am going to hate to retire this bike just because of a gas tank.

Can anyone tell me how I can identify the seat on my bike as being a stock WR250 or a YZ-125?

Thanks
Rod

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Two weeks ago I was racing in the first district enduro of the year, UMC 'not so tuff" enduro (D37). I got messed up, nose dived into a gulley and managed to crush the gas tank. Even have helmet cam video of it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/RodMcInnis#p/a/u/0/-nAy87KxMEI

Have you ever rode 20 miles soaked in gasoline? Not fun.

A little (OK, a LOT) of duct tape, a change of clothes and I was able to complete the second loop, but it is looking like my trusty old steed may be down for the count as finding a new tank has been a lot more difficult than I had considered.

I can find new tanks for an 89-93 WR250, but not the '94 to '97 model.

After poking around for a while I have found several references to a '94 to '97 WR250 is able to use the same gas tank as a '93 to '95 IF the YZ seat is also used.

I am pretty sure that my bike had an oversized IMS tank. It is definitely large and was translucent, quite different than the image of the stock tank on the exploded parts diagrams. Unfortunately, IMS doesn't list a tank for my bike. Nor does Clarke.

Does anyone have first hand experience with WR250 vs YZ125 gas tanks / seats?

I am considering buying a used stock tank off Ebay, but if I have the YZ seat then its not going to work.

I am going to hate to retire this bike just because of a gas tank.

Can anyone tell me how I can identify the seat on my bike as being a stock WR250 or a YZ-125?

Thanks
Rod

I have known people with more recent wr series bikes who have converted their stock set-up from wr tank/seat to yz250/125 set up and love it. It puts you a little higher and more forward on the bike, making it more nimble.

That being said, the stock tank will make you loose a good amount of fuel storage. I believe my stock tank on my 99 yz250 holds right at 1.7 gallons, whereas the ims tanks have two options of either 3 or 3.5 gallons. That being said, you can buy the aftermarket ims tank for $249 new, then get a good condition, used seat off of fleabay and probably have a great set-up. It will not be as comfortable for long off-road riding as the seat will be taller, harder, and more narrow, but you standing makes you faster anyway! :D

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You can always modify / change the seat foam to whatever shape & firmness you want as it's only the seat base that connects with the tank and subframe.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
OK, I have attached three pictures that I hope will help identify what is going on here.

I have further indication that this might in fact be a YZ tank as the tank has the letters YZ-10 molded into it.

The first picture shows the right hand views of the bike so you can see the shape of the seat. Very sharp up-slope of the seat over the tank, no sitting on the tank on this bike!

The second picture shows the bottom of the seat. This is another hint that this might actually be a YZ seat. Note the notch/slot that is at the front of the seat (left in the picture). The tank has two threaded inserts right where this notch is that suggests that there should be a knob or similar object that the notch from the seat should engage. I never had the knob that would engage this, and the exploded parts diagram does not show any such device for a stock WR450.

The exploded parts diagram DOES show such a knob for a YZ-125. I figure that if some previous owner upgraded to an oversize YZ tank they would have bought a YZ seat and probably didn't get the knob off the gas tank.

The third picture shows the top view of the tank. Note the ripped open filler neck. Guess what part of my body ripped that open.....

The two threaded inserts you can see roughly center on the tank is where a "knob" would mount on a YZ setup.

The screw near the back end of the tank is where a rubber clip secure the tank. This seems to be the same for both YZ-125 and WR250

So, can anyone confirm my belief? Is this really an oversize tank for a YZ?

Rod

Attachments

• seat_bottom.JPG
    seat_bottom.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 544
  • seat_right.JPG
    seat_right.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 612
  • tank_topJPG.JPG
    tank_topJPG.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 563

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
shoot I don't know...... it looks like a yz base on that seat but it looks awfully thick and pointed up at a strange angle I cant remember what my 94 wr looked like but for some reason I think it did not have the little round lug on the front of the seat just a tab that slid under the bottom back of the tank...... and the seat base on my 94 yz 250 has a marking on it 4ew which I beleive is yamaha's model designation for the 93yz 250..... which if my knowledge of yamaha parts is correct that would be the standard of that particular design and the 125 and also 94 and 95 yz's would carry it over........... look for a 4ew for a yz seat or look for a 4jw for the wr seat right above the air filter

as for your tank and those lugs that the front of the seat slides into it is nothing more than a knob that a single screw goes thru the middle of to secure it too the tank. why you have 2 threaded inserts in your tank I can only think that it is supposed to fit 2 different seats

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Every so often I regret not buying a buddy's WR250 ten years ago - it was the same year as yours. Then his 1998 YZ250 that he bought one year later. I could have swapped in the WR's engine, swing arm (for the kick stand), 18" rear wheel, to go for a (then) modern YZ electric-blue look. Oh well.

There was a guy who did swap his same generation WR like yours to 1998 YZ bodywork and get this: used a IMS 3.0-gal. tank - still available today from them. Search in the ThumperTalk Yami 2-stroke forum to find his post. He said the key was to use Devol radiator guards and slightly mod them or hog out a mount - after that is was easy to do it all the 1998 YZ bodywork. Go upgrade!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I was able to get the numbers off the old tank and the guys at "Just Gas Tanks" confirmed that the old one was indeed intended for '93-'95 YZ.

So a new tank is ordered, but it looks like it will take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive. Looks like I won't be riding that bike in the February races!

Rod

Top Bottom