Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
So I used my bike about a week ago, started fine and ran fine (just had the top end rebuilt a couple weeks ago as well). The bike has not been started in about a week and has sat in the rain a couple days and when I went to start it today, no go. I tried changing the plug and still no go. I am getting a spark. Will letting it sit in the rain may be causing it not to start? What should I do now...

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I have no idea what leaning the bike over and spilling gas would do, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. I suppose if nothing else it would assure that you are getting gas to the carburetor.

Getting wet can often lead to ignition problems but if you have good spark then you can pretty much rule that out.

How is the compression? Does it still feel as good as it did a couple of weeks ago?

If you are getting spark, and gas to the carburetor, and the compression is good, then about the only thing left is the intake & exhaust. Just how hard was this rain it was left out in? Any possibility that the exhaust filled up with water? Out here in California we never get a rainstrom that could do that unless the bike was parked directly under the downspout from the roof, but a rainstorm in Maine might be a different story.

If water filled the expansion pipe then it might not be allowing the exhaust to flow properly. If water filled to the point that it ran into the engine then all sorts of problems could result.

If you are not sure then I would recommend taking the pipe off and dumping it out. If it turns out to be dry then you don't have any worries. On the other hand, if you get the pipe off and pour out a significant amount of water then you should suspect that some got into the crankcase as well.

The standard method of clearing a water ingested two stroke is to shut the gas off, pull the plug then turn the bike upside down to get the water to drain out the spark plug hole (note that the piston must be at the bottom of the stroke).

Rod

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Leaning the bike over and spilling some gas puts just a tad bit of extra fuel in the cylinder to make starting cold a little easier. It also lets you know that the float bowl is filling and can knock a stuck float loose.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
GM,now think about what you said in the first sentence.How does a dead engine magically draw gas into the engine?The only thing I could figure is it puts fresh gas in the bowl,helps mix the tank,good exercise and can loosen a hung valve or float.Take the carb off and with a full bowl,tip it,yes it comes out the overflows!

Top Bottom