Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Today while going down a long straight my 97yz125 seemed to like cut out and or hit a false netural when shifting up to 6th gear. It seems on this bike the higher i rev it the better it shifts? Some times when shifting from 3rd to 4th it will drop back to 4th. Im using bel ray gear saver and this stuff after like 3-5 rides comes out like it went in, just seems a little thinner. the yz shifts notchy. My 96cr250 shifts smooth as can be but when i drain the hp2 tranny oil it is black. Could the gear saver i am using in the yz cause the lously shifting? Like it is too thick or something? Im going to try hp2 tranny oil in the yz but for the mean time does anyone have any input? Also when you are short shifting an engine or spinning the rear wheel then you shift and the wheel hooks up, could this cause the bike to drop back down a gear or something? like if the engne is not reving enough to hold that gear bec of the terrain change/gear ration change- loss of engine rpm?

SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
Actually Bodge, I have a 97 YZ 125. Best bike I have ever owned. Only going to get a new bike next year cuz it's time. That bike is still fast, looks great, and holds its own on the track.

About your question. I have experienced notchy shifting in the past, but it was because my clutch basket was notched, and wasn't slipping into gear easily. It also lurched in gear with the clutch in. I sanded my basket down (I could have also just bought a new basket) and it now works great. I use synthetic blend or 100% syn oil, and change it every 3 rides or so. I am pretty good with this, and I think it really helps keep the bike running smoothly, especially a bike 6 years old. As for slipping out of gear, I HAVE experienced that, but certainly not often. Probably between 3rd and 4th, and like a false Neutral some where in there. I know what you mean, but it doesn't happen that often for me to really worry about. All in all, great bike. If you have any other questions about his bike, or I didn't exactly touch on what you are wondering, let me know. Been a great steed for me, and will be for someone else when I sell it.

-SterlingYZ

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
The popping out of gear (from 4th to 3rd) happens every now n then, probly once everyother ride. I have noticed it seems to happen as soon as i shift when going over rough(like eroded land) while the rear wheel is spinning. My clutch basket is fine. What oil do you run? ever try belray gear saver? or honda hp2? Sterling, what is your aol or aim sn? mine is bodgecr250

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
Usually, false nutrals and gears poping out of mesh are a sign of worn internal components. I'd split the case and take a look at the shift drum, shift forks, Check all the gears for signs of wear(I'm not sure how they are called in english('craboteur' in french), but there are gears that slide from left to right, these usually have 'knobs' on either side of the gear wich slide into the other gears on each side. Check these 'knobs' and the 'holes' for signs of wear.) , put the shift shaft between two v blocks and with a dial indicator check the runout on the shaft.

Top Bottom