dholm

Mar 23, 2007
I bought this CR80R a few weeks ago and noticed that the chain was pretty loose but it was still rideable. I went out to some trails this last weekend and on the first day everything went smoothly and I had a lot of fun. On the second day I could tell that the chain was slipping occasionally but I didn't think too much of it because it never fell off and I just wanted to ride. After taking a break I started up the bike but as I was in first gear with the clutch in I could hear/see the chain slip on the sprockets. This continued and I called it a day because my chain adjuster was as far back as possible. There was atleast 4 inches of freeplay with the chain. After further investigation I saw that the roller was really worn along with the sprockets and I'm sure the chain.
So.....I'm planning on ordering a new roller, new sprockets and a chain. For the sprockets right now I'm running a 15/55 ratio. I'm looking at some "Parts Unlimited" sprockets online and because of availability and a desire for more topend I'm looking at going to 14/51, would I notice a dramatic change? There are some big hills around my house that I don't need to fly up but wouldn't want to have the bike not having enough power to make it up these hills without dieing. Also what length of a chain shoudl I go for for a 14/51 ratio?

Also, I'm assuming my clutch is getting bad if the chain was slipping with the clutch in and in first gear, right? Any thoughts on that?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You won't notice any change in the gearing, as it is the same ratio with both choices.

Make a decision...more top end, or more torque on the hill. You simply don't get both.
You want more top end, change the rear to a lesser number teeth.
If you want more power for the hill, change the front to a 14 and the rear to more than a 51.

My assumption is that this bike has been run hard and put up wet.

dholm

Mar 23, 2007
well there is far from a ton of torque with my bike but it is fun

the 55 tooth was nice for getting up hills as I didn't need to rev the bike up as much and the bike was definently fast enough for my trailriding anyway

but now I've had a hard time trying to find another 55 tooth sprocket besides through my Honda dealership and they want $120!!!! that's a ton of cash for my 98 CR80 so it looks like instead of goign 15/55 I bought a 14/51 ratio online and we'll see how that goes

Top Bottom