98 Kdx 220 powervalve/jetting probs

1kdx220man

Oct 6, 2003
Need help on a powervalve prob I am having on my 220. After doing any tight/technical trails for a while when I get out in the open and the bike just "4-strokes" It feels as if the powervalves are sticking and after a good thrashing it eventually clears up, Any Idea's??

1998 kdx 220, pc pipe and muffler, air box mod.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep.

Your plug is loading up because the low speed circuit (pilot/air screw) of your carb is not correctly tuned.

Are you referring to two different issues? Do you indeed need help on a KIPS 'job', or are you saying you think the KIPS is the problem?

The term '4-stroking' refers to a 2-stroke motor firing every other time (TDC event). Kind of a blubbering smoking mess?

That's pretty common for a kdx that hasn't been rejetted (correctly).

You can check out the KIPS operation by removing the slotted cover on the LH side of the cylinder and the pipe. Manually activate the KIPS via the nut under that cover and observe proper valve/subport drum operation by looking up into the exhaust port.

After manual operation, the KIPS should return to 'normal' or an 'un-activated' state.

I don't think the KIPS is what you have a worry about.........

Check CDave's site (linked in the 'every kdx rider should read' thread stuck to the top of this forum) for some guidelines and tuning information, fine-tune your bike to suit you (your riding style and conditions) and then you'll have...

NO worries....

Cheers!

Last edited:

1kdx220man

Oct 6, 2003
At first I was thinking it was the kips, only because I used to have trouble with them on my 94 kdx200, I have tried removing the cover on the little activator thingee and opened valves manually, and it ran sweet untill I done some technical riding again. So I was thinking it was a tuning issue and the kips just getting clogged up with oil, but before I get stuck into jetting and tuning, I was wondering if the problem had been seen before on the kdx's. The first thing I thought I'd try is moving the clip up one position as mine is on the third, and most 220's I've read about are running on the second.

Any Idea's

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The problem is as common as hair on a dog.

Jet correctly and you won't have the problem anymore. If that's viewed as getting, '..stuck into jetting and tuning...' well, sorry 'bout that.

Top Bottom