NZDirtKing

Aug 29, 2009
Hello all.

I have a kx125 1998 that i have not ridden for a few month's because of my course and where i am fllating. anyway its holidays now and i went to go ride my bike but the clutch just wont engage. ive rode it for 4km think it might kick in but nope nothing. it just wont work.

its a pretty new cable and it has some pull in it, feels as if it should work.

Any helpful hints/tips on getting it working would be awesome!

Cheers :nod:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Do you mean it doesn't work in that it won't disengage primary gear so you can shift smoothly? Or do you mean it doesn't work as in you bike just sits still and revs when you try to move forward??

NZDirtKing

Aug 29, 2009
hey, cheers for the reply.

i mean it doesnt work as in i pull clutch in change gear and the bike just tries to take off. even when its going along in 3rd gear i pull clutch in rev and it keeps giving the bike power.

hope this helped.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Could be notched basket or improper assembly. Take clutch cover off and inspect. Your pressure plate should move when you pull the lever and loosen the plates to let them slip. If you basket is notched, sometimes the plates don't loosen and stay engaged. If not notches or improper assembly, you need to re-examine your adjustment. Not sure on 1998 kx125 if you have a rod adjustment on the center of the pressure plate or not. But either way you should have adjustment on each end of your cable. Lever should have about 1/8 free play before it taughtens and starts to engage the clutch as you pull it.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Sometimes the plates will stick together from sitting too (even if the cable is moving pressure plate correctly.).

Take the side cover off, remove pressure plate, seperate the friction plates, change your oil. My son's KX80's and his KX125 did this too when not used for a while... must be Kawasaki friction plate material...?

Change gear oil often, it sees hard/hot work.

Top Bottom