buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I just got a '98 KX 250 and was wondering what the diff.'s between KX's and KDX's? I'm mostly going to be riding trails & dirt pit/backyard stuff w/maybe some Hare Scrambles in the future. Do I need to make any changes on it, or can I just let it rip? I've already got a PC pipe & s/a, skid plate and al. handguards.

------------------
OOOPS.....THERE'S ONE MORE BROKEN...

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If you are happy with the way it feels, don't mess with it. The only thing I could really suggest would be a flywheel weight. It's funny, you want to make your bike more KDX-like, while I made mine more KX-like. ;)

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
It's not that I totally want to turn into a KDX, I just want it to be a woods/trail beast. I mean, I have no idea what really makes them different. From what I can see and have heard, there really isn't much of a difference other than the obvious (i.e.-fork, displacement, lights). The KX is more oriented towards MX, but are those same attributes going to negatively affect it's woods/trail worthiness? Do I have some work ahead of me, or can I just play w/the gearing/sprockets and be good to go. Hell, up until last year(and I've always liked and read about dirt bikes), I thought the KDX was a 4 stroke! (Don't anybody hurt themselves yucking it up about that one :mad: :o :D )

------------------
OOOPS.....THERE'S ONE MORE BROKEN...

Jan 11, 2001
I have a '98kx 250 and it is way different than my friends kdx. The kx has a huge midrange hit where the kdx has smooth power throughout the powerband. I have a steahly flywheel weight and a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket. These two modifications have made this bike much more trail worthy, but is no where near as easy to ride as a kdx. My one suggestion to you is not to get on a kdx and you won't have anything to compare it to. That's what I did for a year and now I love the kx and wouldn't trade it for the world, but if I had ridden the kdx sooner I would have sold the kx250 and found a kdx.
Just hang in there and in time you'll love it!

------------------
trailrider

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
I agree. Go with a kdx 200 if your just starting out. Me and a friend ride all the time. He has a kdx 200 its hard to keep up with him in the tight stuff. But he knows the first hill or straight and hes gettin roosted. We trade now and then, He usually makes it about 20 30 foot before he loops my bike out :eek: But his bike is alot easier to ride and less tiring. A used Kdx is cheap, but to hop up a mx bike for woods is costly.
Oversized tank 180$,SuSpension 300-500$,Flywheel weights 100$,Barkbusters 60$, Lights cdi unit 200$,sprokects 60-80$,ISDE silencer 100$, this is just a guesstament. I;m sure theres more you could add.

------------------
stu182
93 KDX 250
www.250kdx.homestead.com

Top Bottom