'98 Rt 180 Clutch Problems

DonMarko07

May 18, 2004
I was Diving my RT 180 when I slid on a tree and layed the bike down on it's left side.(Going less than 10MPH) The little thing that holds the chain tight was bent. I drove it home with no problems other than the chain thing. About a month later I went to ride it and the clutch would not disengae. I readjusted the clutch handle on the handle bar and it still doesnt work. What could be wrong and how can I fix it?
Thanks,
Mark

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Bikes that sit a long time that have metal in the friction material can rust to the metal center plates. Having water in the clutch area makes it happen faster. The pack fuses togeter. You can try to zip tye the clutch to the bar for a day or two but for the most part thats bad for the springs and I have never had it work as the pack is not sprung apart. You probably have to remove the side cover, and gently pry each disk in the pack apart with a screw driver. Clean it up and put it back together. Usally takes about 45 minutes to do. Keep it dry and silicone the case to try to keep water out same as your magneto.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…