ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
a buddy of mine is looking at a 98 rt180. the bike runs and looks fine but there is no second gear. when going thru the gears you just have to shift twice to get to third when coming from first. the tranny shifts good and seems to be in decent working order (other than the second gear problem) no strange noises ect. does anyone know what could cause this problem and any possible fixes??

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
Do not buy an Rt180, there will be many more problems to come with that bike. Instead have him look into a YZ125 or something more reliable.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
i realize that the rt180 is not the best bike out there. but my buddy has little cash and even less dirt experience. the guy only wants 400 bucks for the rt and the bike looks good. actually i have seen that as long as you leave the oil injection in place the air cooled motor has very little reliability issues.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
Yea its not the best bike but I can definetly see where you are comng from. I remember when I only had $500 for a bike and would have bought anything. I estimate the repairs to be costly, probably about the same cost of the bike. Try going to www.bikebandit.com they have OEM parts for almost any bike. Good luck on the bike, and try to find another Rt that is in good working condition.
P.S- How do you like that CBR600, Im lookin into one soon?

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
i like it alot but still a little apprehensive on it. kill yourself quick. its not like looping out the ktm a dirt road......friends with the local yamaha shop mechanic and if i bring him just the bottom end of the motor he said that he will fix it for 50 bucks labor plus parts and a case of beer.

Top Bottom