mrichter

Feb 1, 2008
i have a 98 yz 80 that i bought from a firend for $300. it wont fire. i have checked spark, compression, and fuel, and all are good. the timing is set dead on. i have a new coil pack and CDI, and still nothing can someone help me out with this...thanks. :bang:

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Hmmmm......doesn't make sense. If you have fuel into the cylinder, spark at the plug, and the compression is good, it should fire. Of course, it must be the right amount of fuel and the correct timing of the spark, but still it should do something. Is the plug getting wet? How do the reeds look?

BTW, I'm parting out a '98 YZ80, so if you need parts, let me know & I'll see if I still have it.

war child

Jan 4, 2009
i think its your carb, have you cleaned this, are the air and idle screws ok, if so take out your plug dry it and put back in, did it kick over then and die again, if so try again with the plug , dry and try, did it kick again and die,if so your fouling your plug, the guys on here will help with that, i only know bcos i just had to rebuild a 1996 yz 80,
with same problems ,but it was down to many things, carb, crank and seals, and magnito,--- i think that if you have fuel, compresion, and spark that, one is weak, check carb , dirty, right jets?-----then your spark, spark might be duff, is there anything in the exauhst ?----- read valve look ok , strong flaps that close ok,,,

hope it might help,,, all mx pros on here dont get angry if i give wrong or bad info, im just going off my own bike

Top Bottom