butters

Mar 9, 2007
ill go through the gears, and when i hit 4th it will go into gear and about 1sec after i get on it, it goes into neutral..... and i have to slow down to get it back into gear.

when its off and im lookin at it, if doesnt wanna go into neutral, but when i do it makes a clicking sound. and soemtime when i push the shifter down it will stay down...

my guess is somethin with the shift drum spring.... or something with the drum

i guess ill just pull the clutch cover off....

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The problem is probably in the cases and probably involves rounded dogs on the gear or a bent shift fork. You won't be able to see it by just removing the clutch cover.

butters

Mar 9, 2007
well i went out there and took all the clutch side stuff off... here is my list of probs

washer between the iner clutch hub and the basket was missing
the bolt that holds the shift star on the drum was loose, and the star was crooked because it wasnt aligned by the pin
the plate that hold the paws in the shift star were loose
the bolt for the lever/w spring was loose and was missing the collar
and there is a wheel missing off the shift shaft the connects to the paw...

im suprised this thing even shifted.... ive owned for a month or so.... i posted a real nice story on the ohio forum i bought it on.... this wasnt the first problem

but the shift drum moves free when i turn it by hand.... so this is prolly the prob

butters

Mar 9, 2007
i think the(MOD EDIT) i bought the bike from, just threw the stuff on to sell it... i expecially think that because its missing those parts

i had to fix the stator nut also, it was loosed and all the threads were stripped off the crank

Last edited by a moderator:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Fix all of that and see what happens. It sounds like something failed inside, he split cases (or attempted to), may or may not have fixed the problem, and then dumped the bike on you. If you're confident in your mechanic skills, it's not too hard to split the cases. You may just want to go in there for an exploratory surgery so you don't blow things up big down the road.

butters

Mar 9, 2007
well ive been riding the bike for about 3 weeks, and there have been no tranny shifting probs untill now.... and seeing all the chit thats missing and screwed up on the clutch side, i think thats the problem.....

but yes, i dunno if he went into the motor. he never mentioned that(not that it would mean anything) but i really dont wanna go through the hassle of splitting them and having to buy all the parts to put it back together(gaskets, crank bearings n stuff) im poor....the crank has no play in it, so thats good atleast

but if the tranny shifts n stuff, there really aint anything else to screw up...... so i think ill be safe just fixing all the clutch side stuff.... *knock on wood*

(MOD EDIT)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
(MOD EDIT)

Sorry about your troubles, but please keep in mind that this is a family site. Tone down the language a tad. You can get your point across just fine without that sort of talk.

Thanks!

Top Bottom