Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
OK, I posted in another forum about how I was looking at a KX500. I got to ride one for awhile and decided it wasn't for me. I now have my eye on a 98 YZ400F that is at the shop. It is a super clean bike. They want 3300 for it. Would this be a good bike for playing in the woods, as well as racing MX. I like to play in the woods sometimes, just for giggles. But that is rough on my 125(I am selling it for 2800, Email me if you are interested and I can give you all the mods and pics), I am also keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a 250. But what does everyone think of the YZ400f?
Thanx,
Chris:cool:

TahoeWR250F

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 10, 2001
My $0.02 on the YZ400F

I have two '98 YZ400Fs... One is set up as an MX bike, and the other has a Baja kit on it, and is street legal. As an MX bike, it's great. Tons of power, great handling, really solid. As a woods bike, it was a bit of a task for me (5'9", 170 lbs.), and it stalled a lot. Now, I have an E-Line coil with a heavier flywheel on the street legal bike, and that helps the stalling a TON. Depending on your preferences, you might just wanna go with a slightly heavier flywheel...

Overall, it's a phenomenal bike. I love my WR250F in the woods, but if I only kept one bike, it would probably be the 400 with the Baja kit and heavier flywheel...

Good luck!

TheMort

May 31, 2000
I've had my 98 YZ400F for about a month or so. I had (have, trying to sell..) a 95 KDX200 before the 400F and the YZ400 is just so much more fun for me. It's got awesome power, handles great, and has a good suspension and is just so much better in every way than the KDX I had. The power only took a couple rides to get used to and it's an awesome powerband with power everywhere. I mostly ride sand pits (like a big sandy MX track) and the bike is a blast in the sand. Lately I've been taking it through the woods and it's been better than I expected. It's definetly more bike than I need in the woods, but that's what makes it so much fun :D . Stalling can be a problem, especially in tight, rocky sections I've noticed, but a flywheel weight should help with that. Suspension is definetly not set up for woods and is very stiff, but that can be tuned to your likings. It's plenty of bike for me (5'10", 165 lbs) but it's not really over-powering or intimading. I'd say go for it and you'll love the bike. So far mine's been perfect as far as reliability and I've had zero problems (knock on wood), just keep up on basic maintainence and it should be good. As far as starting, I still don't know what all the fuss is about, it's never taken me more than one to two kicks to start the bike once I learned "the drill," hot or cold. Good luck with picking a bike.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by azcourt
I'd try to find a 2000 ar 2001 426 if I were looking. The 98 was a good bike, but the 426's were much better in every way.
That is a retarded statement. It all depends on what your opinion of good and better are. Please tell me all the features that make the 00 better. Don't just make a statement and expect people to take your word for it. Did you read that in MXA or something....?

FYI: Jimmy Button hated the ergo changes on the 2000 models and far the 1999 frame becuse he felt it was better.

98's had some problems, impeller(Boysen replacement) and a few others but it is a great bike. But the early 2000 models were blowing up clutches... is that better? You said every way did'nt you?

I have a 99 with the 417 EG/RR special... a $325 upgrade that has boosted my hp above what a 426 puts out so unless the 00 or 01 426 is less than $3600 (which it won't) I'd get the 400, change the impeller and get the big bore.... if you want to cure the low end bogg and want more power everywhere else (which you may not) $3300 is a good price for the bike if it is in good condition... Retail value is $4260.. Trade in value is $2925. (value is coutesy of kbb.com)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
My thoughts on the '98 YZ400F--The bike has made my life a living hell!

The reason: I bought a 97 XR400R thinking it was the pinnacle of four stroke technology. It was, for a couple minutes. Then I started hearing rumblings about the OWH2 (codename for the YZM400F that Doug Henry would race). Then they came out! Now all the other manufacturers are stepping up (or should be) with their YZF killers, and I still have my XR!

Part of the problem for me is, which new bike next?

Curse you Yamaha, for making things diffucult for me!:confused:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... which means his Jedi Knight powers are stronger than mine :confused:

Jun 27, 2000
A buddy of mine had a 98 yz 400. When they first came out. I finally got to throw a leg over it. This was a few years ago when they first came out. My buddy said I will let you ride it. He warned me and bwes if we rode one we would have to have one. He was right on both counts. Bwes and I both had to have one. Bwes bought a 98 first. then he bought a 426 when they came out. We both like the 400 better than the 426. I have a 400 also. I love mine. I think the 426 has a little hit to it. It is not as smooth as the 400. Thats my .02 worth.:silly:

XR 250R RIDER

Apr 5, 2001
They (to me) same about the same power wise. My two buddies have them, a 98 YZ 400 and a 2001 YZ 426. In a strait drag they stay neck and neck. My friend paid 3300 and it is in pretty good shape (tires, plastics, etc...) it has not been riden hard or much. thats my opinion

azcourt

Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
... which means his Jedi Knight powers are stronger than mine :confused:
LOL
Maybe it means "drinks too much red bull". I did not mean to insult a great admin by calling him a moderator. Oops, me bad and retard. :confused:

azcourt

Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by Thump
That is a retarded statement. It all depends on what your opinion of good and better are. Please tell me all the features that make the 00 better. Don't just make a statement and expect people to take your word for it. Did you read that in MXA or something....?

FYI: Jimmy Button hated the ergo changes on the 2000 models and far the 1999 frame becuse he felt it was better.

98's had some problems, impeller(Boysen replacement) and a few others but it is a great bike. But the early 2000 models were blowing up clutches... is that better? You said every way did'nt you?

I have a 99 with the 417 EG/RR special... a $325 upgrade that has boosted my hp above what a 426 puts out so unless the 00 or 01 426 is less than $3600 (which it won't) I'd get the 400, change the impeller and get the big bore.... if you want to cure the low end bogg and want more power everywhere else (which you may not) $3300 is a good price for the bike if it is in good condition... Retail value is $4260.. Trade in value is $2925. (value is coutesy of kbb.com)

Ok, let me tard on some more...
After the second catastrophic rod failure of my 98 400 (after I thought putting a 420 kit in it would make it better than a 426) I started calling around looking for answers.

Stroker: "You did what to a 98 400, sure it broke the rod, they were barely strong enough for the stock 400 piston. Put it back together with 426 parts and it will be fine".

Montclair Yamaha: "Yeah, we made that mistake too. Get yourself a 426, they are a lot stronger and more refined. The 400 definatlly had first year blues. The rod was brittle and had to be changed often like a two stroke".

BK (Tim Ferrys mechanic): "426 has better rod design, stronger valvetrain, better suspension, better carburator (I believe he said the carb on the 98 was junk), and was all around a better bike".

The yamaha dealer by my house: " too bad you put that 420 kit in there, we'd fix the broken rod under recall if it was stock"

In the end my solution was buy a bigger bike to get more HP. It sure is amazing how easy a KTM 520 EXC starts. A little suspension work and away we go.

Okay great Jedi Administrator, hit me.....
I want solid insults and rude comments, drink way too much coffee, and 4 or 5 red bulls before responding. But don't forget, have fun while your doing it!!

:p

The tard

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Still going strong

My 98 is still on the original connecting rod, and original water pump impeller. But, I wouldn't expect to change the original design (i.e., bigger piston) without expecting some strain and failures.

My iddy biddy clutch is original, also. Certainly, not the same can be said for lots of 426's !

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by azcourt
Okay great Jedi Administrator, hit me.....
I want solid insults and rude comments, drink way too much coffee, and 4 or 5 red bulls before responding. But don't forget, have fun while your doing it!! :p

The tard
No insults or comments just some facts. The 420 kit's durability is a direct reflection of the mechanic doing the work.

Stroker: Funny they should say that since they make the modification to many 400's Click here :think: Maybe if you had them do it for you you would have gotten a different story, or not broken the rod... because they certainly agree with my above statement. "The 420 kit's durability is a direct reflection of the mechanic doing the work." and were too polite to hurt your feelings.

Montclair: I have not called them but I would bet that they install the 420 kit too.

The yamaha dealer by my house: " too bad you put that 420 kit in there, we'd fix the broken rod under recall if it was stock"
Yeah and next year Honda and Yamaha are going to merge into one company. No way would Yami fix the rod on a dirt bike nearly 4 years old, no way. I just cracked my gas tank, the same place all the others have been cracking, the crack that Yami has be replacing under recall. BUT since my bike is a 99' it is "out of recall" meaning I dish out coin for a new one. I would believe they would replace the rod when I saw it happen.

In your original post you said "426's were much better in every way." To which I replied "It all depends on what your opinion of good and better are. Please tell me all the features that make the 00 better. " Yes my first post was harsh but if you are going to make a blanket statement like "much better everywhere" you better give some details and facts because just making a statement and expecting people to take your word for it is ridiculous.

My point in this thread is this... If you can get a 400 for $3300 in good shape get it because it is below list price. IF you then want more power, you have options, I listed the options I choose.

$3300(bike) + $325(420 kit) = $3625 You will not find a 426 in decent shape for even close to that and the 420 built correctly will out perform it. If you do find one for that price, buy it. The 426 is a great machine... Is it better than a 400? That depends. I think it is better than a stocker, but I would not trade my bike for a brand spanking new one right now because it would be a noticable step backward.

azcourt, I was just kidding about the administrator thing, just razzing you a bit.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
I have to hang with T.W. My 98 is original, kick starter and all. I came off a KX5hunerd. Best move I ever made (all though I miss the holeshots). Great fun in the woods, and on the track! The only thing I wish it had was the autostart button:cool: although it is not a hard starting bike, it would just be cool to have it;)

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
YZ 400 for trails?

I have a '98 YZ400 and love it for MX. I came off a '98 XR400 that I loved for trails. I am a beginner level vet rider, and I see the bikes as 2 totally different bikes for 2 totally different types of riding.

The XR started easy without the comp release needed, had a comfortable seat, could lug tight trails, turned quickly, and with some stiffer springs could go for a lap or two around the Mx track. No cooling problems, low maintenance, decent power for my 210lb body.

The YZ, blazing fast. Harsh ride, NO luggability (even with 10 oz flywheel), monkey but seat. Pushed me from back of the pack in MX to mid pack 38+ begginer class. Also has increased my rate of injury. I have change the impleller to boyesen, added higher pressure radiator cap, reworked shocks, etc. EXCELLENT race bike, but a bit stiff for me on the trails. Hard to lug around with the girlfriend and son on it.

I cannot get comfortable on the YZ in tight, technical stuff. The gearing seems to low, the throttle to sensitive etc. Trails I could lug along on my XR in 1st or 2nd are challenging on the YZ. I want to use the clutch, but then worry about wearing it out.

What is everyone doing to get great performance out of the YZ for tight trails? I am running a 50 tooth on the rear, but feel I would have to go up several more, or go to a smaller counter sprocket to get the desired gearing. I wonder what the throttle response will be like with the gearing change, I am expecting a 'hair trigger' type of response.

Unless I can mellow out the YZ I am going to sell it and buy a XR (partly because of green sticker). I figure with suspension, a new muffler and the airbox and jetting mods I have lots of trail riding fun, and can take a lap or two when I feel the urge.

Any input would be appreciated.

Top Bottom