motomutt22

Nov 9, 2009
I got out of moto after 25 years of riding and racing. I'm looking to get back into play / enduro / hairscrambles with the occasional moto. Been seriously leaning toward a KX 500 as I raced open 2 strokes my whole life (with the exception of my '03 yz 450, which prompted me to get out of riding altogether). I can get a '99 300 MXC that is said to need a top end and a clutch line for $1300, which I'm sure I can get lower. I have a few questions: Is this a year that had any notorious trouble / problems ? How is the bike for a combination of riding ? I'm a clydesdale and will definitely have to have the suspenders dealt with. Who does really good work and how much $. Remember, I'm used to racing a CR500 so I'm looking for tractor power not rev to the moon power. So, is this a decent deal or are there other years where everything got really wonderful. This needs to be a low budget affair. Thanks for any and all input

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
If you can talk him down a bit and the bike is in otherwise in good shape (bearings, sprockets, etc, etc) then it could certainly be a good buy. Though often bikes that need work have been neglected a long time.

I used to own, ride, and love a 99 300, they are fantastic bikes and a great year. It won't give you anything but smiles and all the parts are still readily available.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Top end parts will be expensive, especially the piston. But pistons last a long time on that bike.

The '99 300 is a fine bike when it is dialed in. You will be very satisfied with the motor. Jetting and powervalve adjustments can make a big difference in getting the power delivery you want.

That should have the 50mm conventional forks, and they can be made to work very well, espcially for woods riding. Some people don't like the stock fork settings, though.

Top Bottom