KTA

Jul 14, 2000
I picked up this bike last week, spent the week fiddling and greasing things up. I went for the first ride today and thought I'd give a little write up on it.

First off, I'm coming from an 86 kx250. And this exc is bone stock.

I took the bike out onto a wide array of trail types; smooth open straights, rutted mud pits, steep windy single track and over piles of rubble and logs. In all regaurds the bike functioned very well. It does not have the same hit or topend as an MXer but still revs very strong. The bottom end is the biggest difference. Corners where I would have normally downshifted to second I could stay in third and chug around then rip it. It has very strong pull in the low RPMs which is uncharacteristic of other 2 strokes I've ridden.

The suspension was very nice, the fork was a little stiff, but I think a lighter oil would really help it out for the type of riding I do. The rear shock was perfect, it absorbed the small stuff, didn't bottom out on the larger stuff, and most importantly, didn't kick the back end up much when hitting hard bumps.

The hydralic clutch is awesome, very short movement range and shifting is completely silent and smooth, I don't think I heard the gears at all the whole ride out.

The braking is also very good, the rear is a little touchy and likes to lock up, but I'm sure I can fiddle with that a little to improve it.

Overall this bike is a blast and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fast, powerful trail bike. I can't wait to hit the trails with it again tomorrow!! :aj:

Top Bottom