99 400F swingarm linkage pivot bolt.

B

biglou

I did a search, but the keywords bring up a ton of threads that would require hours of pouring over them. I also realize that this could go into the suspension forum as well. Here's my question:
The swingarm linkage pivot bolt on a 99 400F, what's the trick? This is the bolt that mounts the link to the frame just below the main pivot. I have the main pivot bolt out and I have the nut off of this linkage pivot bolt. It will even turn with a ratchet, but will not back out. I gave it a couple semi-forceful taps and also tried applying pressure to it while turning it CCW, no joy. Just wondering if I'm missing the obvious here. Thanks.

Just a note-I seem to remember someone else posting about this very same thing but it was a year or more ago. That's why I cancelled my "Needle in a haystack" search!

Last edited by a moderator:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Did Thunder get the Yamaha maint. manual with the bike? That's a pretty informative source. Otherwise, I wonder if you have to press it out? Does the bearing come with it.

If you don't know anything by tomorrow, I'll see if I can dig up my brother's manual and see what it says.

andymstevens

Mar 10, 2000
Whack it harder Sally! It's probably rusted and siezed around the bearings. Is Jamie going to replace the bearings? He may have to pay up for a new one. You can put a centerpunch or a piece of brass on it, or you can try putting the nut back on and whacking it. If you don't like these options, take it to a machine shop and let them do the dirty work. Isn't there one on every corner in Belton?

Just say no to crack!

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
It's always the same story with these linkage bolts. The bolt corrodes on the bearing inner race. It's a challenge to find a strategy to push the bolt out without damaging the thread. Put the nut back so that it threads flush with the bolt end. It will give you a better surface to hit. Use penetrating oil like a ton of it and tap on eact side of the bolt altewrnating to break the corrosion bond. You some time have to wait and let the wd40 do its job. Just be patient it will come out.

B

biglou

I have a machine shop at work so that is no problem. I can press it out at home also, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. So far all the bolts I have removed have been greased fairly well and have been relatively easy to remove. This bolt pivots with a ratchet, but wasn't moving laterally. This one may be seized to the bearing's inner race as suggested.
I was wanting to get the swingarm off for the shock value for when Jamie sees the bike this afternoon. If I can get the engine out too that would be priceless. A guy leaves a fully assembled YZ400F with me and 12 hours later it is down to a pile of pieces! BTW-We're doing the retro YZ Hurricane kit, so we are painting the frame, polishing the swingarm, etc.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Lou, I've seen some of those where the bolt acctually partially shears and locks itself in the frame. I hade to grind both ends of the bolt off just to remove the linkage. In the two cases that I had they were very used (read no maintainence) bikes that I bought and the bolt wasn't tight which allowed it to move in the frame.

Chances are, in your case, the bolt is rusted in place.

Have fun:scream:

B

biglou

I got the bolt out of the other end of the link. It, too, was seized to the inner bearing race on one side. Another important note-During my search I came across a thread by MACE talking about how the linkage bolt that is inside the swingarm had sheared. That appears to be the case here, too. I haven't opened it up yet, but there are pieces-parts rattling around inside the swingarm housing. I have been soaking the frame linkage pivot in penetrating oil. That seemed to do the trick for the other end of that pivot. This is a bike that sees 50/50 track and trails, so there has been many a muddy ride followed by power washing. Therefore the pivot linkages are pretty much seized in place. It will take some work, but it will be in much better shape, both mechanically and cosmetically, when we get her back together!
And yeah, this is fun, right?:scream:

andymstevens

Mar 10, 2000
You'll have to get some Bel Ray waterproof when you go back together with it. You could present Jamie with can of slim fast too, just for laughs and tell him that all those g-outs were what did it!;)

B

biglou

Jamie and I could both use a little slimming! BTW-Got her apart. Engine's out and everything. It's gonna take some scrubbing, but ut will be a work of art when we're done!

Top Bottom