Ncognito

Jan 19, 2007
Ok, this is my first post so please take it easy on me ;) I bought a used 99 cr250r (actually got it in a trade) and upon my first outing with it, it decided to dump a piston skirt in the crank. Literally within ten minutes, so thats what I get for not checking the piston/cylinder before riding it. I wasn't beating on it either when it let go, I was coming to a stop and idling. But anyways, it is time for a complete rebuild. I got the bike for fairly cheap in the trade so ... yay.

Im kinda wondering what direction to go as far as parts. I see tons of parts for these things. I know for sure I'm replacing the cylinder, piston w/bearings, complete crank w/rod, crank bearings/seals, and complete gasket kit at minimum. Anything else I should look at replacing while I have the cases split ? I know to check for the obvious stuff but I mean there are alot of bearings in these things. I don't want to bust the cases again for an 8 dollar part if you know what I mean. Also suggestions on what brand to go with on parts, I'm thinking Wiseco Pro-lite piston kit, Wiseco crank and rod, New OEM "A" cylinder, AllBallsRacing Crank bearings and Cometic Gaskets ? Any suggestions ? Also can anyone tell me the difference between the Wiseco Hot Rods Crank kit and Hot Rods Crank kits (hotrodsproducts - com) ? Also the quality of AllBallsRacing bearings ?

This is my first endeavour (sp?) into 2-strokes but I am mechanically competent when I dont tilt too many ;) I've already disassembled most of the engine. Just got to get a flywheel puller, then on to splitting the cases. I have been reading alot online but seems there is alot of misinformation on the net on 2-strokes and alot of contradicting side. Sorry for the huge post, just want to make sure I got my ducks in a row before blowing quite a bit of cash. Tia, Ncognito

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Hopefully the cylinder can be saved. When you get it apart, you may find the crank cases were damaged.

FWIW, OEM Honda prices on parts are pretty good, escpecially at Service Honda, or see if your local dealer will match Serviced Honda prices. The factory crank and piston kit will not cost you much if any more than a Wiseco.

My old '99 let go when I rolled off the throttle after a sustained high speed blast on a road. 60 mph = 7,000+ rpm with no cooling fuel or lubricating oil. CR250's are great motors, but they do not like this scenario. The lower rod bearing went, and the loose rod helped take out the right side crank case.

Parts cost were approximately $170 for the crank assembly, $70 for a gasket set, $120 for a piston and top end kit, $30 each for crank bearing, $150 for the right side crank case (included bearing). One of my power valve shaft bearings got overheated ($15 - $20). I also needed to replace the shift shaft seal (not included in the gasket set) for about $8. There may have been a few other odds and ends. I did not have the time or the special tools to split the cases, so I paid a mechanic about $225 to complete the teardown and put it all back together.

This was about 4 years ago.

BTW, with the right set up the '99 is a great bike. I hope you will enjoy it.

kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
My 98 went out on me last season, lower bearing seized. I had to do the whole motor. Service Honda is the way to go. They have the best prices and get you the parts in a timely fashion. I just stuck with the stock oem parts for the durability/reliability that you get w/ honda. At first I wanted to go w/ wiseco and all the other after market stuff, but after talking to a few mechanics and guys who "know" what their talking about, for my uses the stock set up was the way to go. Don't worry about the "A" cylinder "B" cylinder matching with "A" "B" pistons. I had a lot of people on here tell me that if you don't get all "A" or all "B" they won't match up. A mechanic I spoke with also said that they have to match. The service honda rep assured me that they didn't, because I ordered all of one and they sent me one of each. There were no problems though. My bike hauls ass, your bike will to. Good luck

uts

Jan 8, 2004
I would go for a Honda bottom end but wiseco up top. I and many people believe that wiseco pistons are better in both performance and durability than stock Honda ones.
As for bottom ends I have no experience with aftermarket kits, but Hondas rarely fail in the bottom end, in my experience anyway.

Ncognito

Jan 19, 2007
Thanks for the responses so far, I guess I should mention that I do not have any plans to race this bike, it will be a playtoy only and durability is key. With that said, I should keep a stock bottom end huh ? I thought the wiseco or hot rods would be better/stronger than the stocker and maybe more free reving. Another reason I ask is I found a good deal for a complete build ie: Wiseco crank/rod set, pro-lite piston, bearings and Athena gasket set all in one kit for 360. If I was gonna keep the stock crank why not just rebuild the one I have ? It is not damaged in any way physically. I just assumed since I am gonna have the cases split to do it now. I also ordered the cylinder today from servicehonda, they truly do have the lowest prices. I think I could probably get by on the one I have but I learned along time ago it pays to do something right the first time.

Ncognito

Jan 19, 2007
uts said:
BTW,

I can't believe your luck. New bike, excitement, 10 minutes and it's all over. That would make me cry.

Haha, tell me about it.... no since in crying over spilled milk though.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
OEM, and before you put that crank in have it checked, Crap happens and a crank out of alignment is not good! Them 4 bearings in the trans don't cost that much to replace while you have it apart . I think the shifting forks are the weakest link in the tranny, mike'em and check for abuse! When you put the seals in make sure they are even and flush, too deep on the crank can block oil holes.

Ncognito

Jan 19, 2007
Well, Thanks for all the help guys. I got it all back together and it started on like the fifth kick the first time starting it because I wasn't use to the newfound compression, but now it starts first kick every time. It goes :ride: :laugh: I spent 2 complete days putting everything back together and cleaning as I went. I even took and rebuilt the carb while I was at it and made sure all the jets were right and everything. It took a bit longer than I thought but I learned a ton. Again THANKS to everyone who posts in this forum as it helped alot. The search button is so my friend. :blah: :blah:

Top Bottom