'99 CR250 suspension on my hybrid

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Hey guys-
I've built a hybrid KDX/CR250; I put a KDX motor in a '99 CR250 chassis. There was really no good reason for doing this. I had a spare KDX motor and came across a complete and pretty clean CR250 frame. It really is a pretty good combo; that KDX motor is just about the best ST motor one could ask for. On my real KDX, a little money spent on the motor really woke it up.
Big deal...

I've had both forks and shock redone by a local guy.

The question has to do with the rear shock on the CR. I've had it resprung and revalved for my weight and intended use. I think it could be much better than it is, though. I seem to have a real spike in compression dampening at about mid stroke, and I cannot get much rebound dampening until I am two clicks out from fully in, and then it is to much.

I weigh 170 W/gear. I'm running a 4.8 shock spring and .38 front springs. What I'm after is the best single track racer I can make it.

Does anyone out there have some input on the rear shock? The forks seem to work really well, no complaints there yet.

Thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I bought a '99 CRE 250 from a former district enduro and cross county champ. It had Factory Connection suspension. It was awesome, though the forks were Paioli conventionals. The shock was extremely good on rocks and roots - very plush, but still able to handle jumps and bigger hits. I think your stock spring rate will be fine.

Factory Connection knows how to make CR suspension work in the woods, that is for sure.

BTW, a properly tuned '99 CR motor is a GREAT motor for technical single track. First gear on the tranny is pretty tall, but that year's motor makes good low end and will pull you up just about anything.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I'm into my current tuner a couple of hundred so far. He's going to have to try to get it right.

I've heard the same about the '99 motor. 'Course, I didn't have one. I did not molest the frame in putting the KDX motor in so if one turns up.......

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Correction- The shock has a 4.6 spring on it.

Top Bottom