smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
I'm looking into buying a 99 cr250. It has a blown motor, I don't know if it has a seized crank or top end damage or what. I like rebuilding engines and have done a full rebuild on my kx125 so the engine damage is not an issue. The guy told me to make an offer. What would it be worth granted the rest of the bike is in good condition. All I know is that it has a pro-circuit exhaust. I'm going to look at it this weekend. Thanks

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
$250-500. The bike is only worth about $1500 running. So if you have to buy a new crank, cylinder and other parts, make sure you are priced right.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
great thanks. I was thinking around $500 I just didn't know for sure. If there is damage done to the cases I will lower my offer more. Thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, I spent almost a grand rebuilding a '99 CR250. That did include about $170 for a right side crank case half, new crank assembly, piston kit, crank bearings, shift shaft seal, burned up power valve bearing, full gasket set. I used all Honda parts. A dealer matched Service Honda prices for me.

I was lucky and had no damage to the cylinder, head or most parts of the powervalve.

On mine, the big end bearing went out when I rolled out of the throttle after about 2 miles of WFO on a road, without pulling the clutch in. I've heard of similar things happening to other CR250s. If the owner says it seized up on him while riding on the road or heading into a corner after a long straight, I would suspect the bottom end failed first.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
Yeah I rebuilt my kx125 that had seized the big rod bearing. I know how expensive it can be but I enjoy wrenching and rebuilding stuff so it's worth it for me.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
well I ended up buying the bike. It is partially disassembled and is missing some stuff i.e. carb, cdi, reed cage, rear shock, and rear wheel. But the cylinder has no damage or scoring so thats good. If i get time this weekend I will start splitting the cases and see what I find. It looks like it seized the large rod bearing. I picked it up for $200.

Top Bottom