99 GG EC300 Crank Bearing Failure

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Why would a Crank Bearing Fail?

I was riding with my buddies when my motor made a funny noise then it locked-up. I tore the bike down found the problem to be in the bottom end.
The dealer tore it down the rest of the way to find that a crank bearing had a come apart. They are not sure if i will need a new crank or just the bearing and some machine work. I really like the bike and the dealler has been fantastic, but I'd really like to get a handle on what the root cause of such an expensive failure might typically be, Any thoughts? The bike is a 1999 GasGas EC 300.

WoodChuck

Last edited:

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Have your dealer call GGNA. Jim at SMS told me that some of the earlier bikes had the ignition side crank seals pressed in too far, partially blocking the oil passage and starving the bearing for oil. Some guys have gotten this fixed for free. The seal should be flush with the case. Also, find out if the new roller bearings used in the '01 and '02 bikes will fit the '99 crank and cases. Good Luck.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Lets not let what started as a good technical question deteriorate into another "my bike is better than yours" thread.

I was curious and called GGNA. They told me the cases on the '01s are different to accept the roller bearings. How many miles/hours on your bike?

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Was the choice of oil the cause?

Hello Glen,

Thanks for your input. I was hoping to get a reply from you, you really seem to know your machine. I do not know the milage or hours on the bike I bought it used this spring. I called GGNA they said this is not a common problem. He was aware of three cases like mine. He stated they reccommend GoldenSpectro, none of the bikes with bearing problems had GoldenSpectro in them, they were either Silkolene, BelRay or Honda/Redline. I had been running GoldenSpectro and just changed two rides previous to the Honda oil (red bottle with pointy neck, HP Trans OIL SAE 80W85W, stuff looks like transmission fluid). The pointy neck bottle ios what attracted me, very easy to fill the GG without a funnel. I though the oil would be fine, a two-stroke is a two-stroke. Maybe I was wrong, could the Honda engine have roller bearings or sleeve bearings which might be subject to lesser point loads? Any thoughts on the wrong oil theory would be appreciated. I shipped the motor to Smackover so I'm sure Jim will know if the seal was blocking the oil passage, thanks for that bit of info.

regards,
WoodChuck

Last edited:
Top Bottom