savwa

Jun 24, 2001
Is there an after market seal for the 50 mm wp Forks? Or is the only choice OEM? I have a problem with my compression fork. the seal only lasts 2 to 3 rides. I have checked for nicks in the fork tube and other defects but cannot find any. Is this a commom thing for these forks? any suggestions?

thanks, Brad

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
Make sure you bleed them often. I bleed mine every time I stop to rest and before I tie it down. If you do not have the fork boots, you may want them. And keep them clean. Use a business card or film negative to slide between slider and seal to clean out the dirt. I usually get 4-6 months before I blow one. I also reuse them a couple times. Take them out and soak in transmision stop leak overnight. If you have a couple sets of old ones you can cycle back and forth.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
My '99 got new seals in March 2000. It went all last year and 7 rides this year so far with no leaks. I credit the fork boots for this longivity.

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
I too used to have limited life on my 98 fork seals. For me shortening the seal and dust cover tension springs and put on booties stopped the problem. Not a leak in two years of heavy riding, although I do not ride in mud very much.

BTW - I used to bleed my forks and have an audio amount of air hiss out the bleeder; the forks do not seem to build up pressure any more after making the following two changes. 1) stopped flushing the forks with TCE at fork oil changes 2) started using mobile I ATF in the forks.

bultaco290

May 10, 2001
I had the some proble on my 380 I think you may need new bushing in the forks, I when thur 3 set of seals in 2 months changed the bushings and it has been over a year with no problems

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by Idaho Charley
I too used to have limited life on my 98 fork seals. For me shortening the seal and dust cover tension springs and put on booties stopped the problem. Not a leak in two years of heavy riding, although I do not ride in mud very much.

BTW - I used to bleed my forks and have an audio amount of air hiss out the bleeder; the forks do not seem to build up pressure any more after making the following two changes. 1) stopped flushing the forks with TCE at fork oil changes 2) started using mobile I ATF in the forks.

I second everything ID Charley said, execpt the pressure building. I have the same setup and I still get the pressure buildup. I ride a lot of whoops though.

Get the fork booties from Holeshot. If you want e-mail me and we can discuss the little tricks on the WP50's, so we don't take up board space.

Top Bottom