SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Hey guys, I bought a 99 kx 250 and got burned (long story) :flame: The clutch was acting all weired not disengaging all the way and then when I let it out it was real grabby and would make a noise when I let it out. I took it apart and the hub and basket have some grooves in them but not real deep. The clutch pull was real nice and easy, it just didn't disengage all the way uintil you held it in for like 10 seconds and even then it would grab occasionally while rolling own hill with the clutch in. With all the plates removed the basket has a bit of free play rocking it back and forth and when I rotate the hub it seems like the shaft it is on is bent. The hub runs up and down slightly in relation to the basket. I will get the hub off tomorrow, maybe the washer is missing back there. Anyone have any ideas? :ugg: Who is the guy that repairs baskets? Thanks for all replies.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
OK, I got an imapact and got the basket off and the needle bearings feel worn. Also, not sure the washers were in properrly. I was able to file the basket didn't take much to make it smoot again so I'm not sure what bad grooves look like. I guess I will try new needle bearing and puth the old plates back in. Should I sand the friction or steel plates to get the glaze off? Should I just get new ones? It had steel drive plates so I assume these are Barnette clutch plates.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Got the neeedle bearings in and filed the fingers on the basket. Before I put the cover back on I noticed that the pressure plate does not release straight. Took it off and rotated it. Still not striaght release and it is dependent on the position of the pressure plate no the basket. Put it all back together and it still stalls when I put it in first. Oh well I guess I will try an inner hub next since it was grooved as well.

McGowan

Mar 12, 2006
Hi my name is Mike and I have the same problem that you had. I would like to know if you got this problem solved and if so how do you do it? I replaced the pressure plate with a Kawasaki OEM plate and I have slight grooves in the basket and it is an after market basket (factory concepts) can you please help? Thanks!!

Mike

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I was having a similar problem on my 02, but the clutch was not ingaging enough<(it would hold the gear when i pulled the clutch in wile coasting) When I looked at the pressure plate and pulled the clutch lever in ,my plate was extending more on one side than the other,wich told me that it was time for new springs!! I Installed a set of new springs and all is good. You need to look at the push rod tip that contains a set of bearings that turn with the plate,make sure they look good and are not cracked. Filing the basket fingers is just a bandaid for the problem,you really have to get them perfect for it to last, the inner hud also need to be good with NO grooves. I'm running a moose billet basket with a stock inner hub and pressure plate with a cheap TUSK clutch kit and mobile one full synthetic 5w-50,Three month now with no problems!!!

Top Bottom