'99 KX250: How much does a re-sleeve cost?

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
I thought it was a good idea to take my completely gone-through '99 KX250 out to NM for some high-speed desert riding with a lean main jet.

Of course, at the time, I didn't realize that the main was lean. It was about the time that the [brand new] piston welded itself to the [nearly brand new] cylinder that I got an idea that I was might be running it a tad bit lean.

That being said, I don't want to drop a chunk of change on another cylinder. What are my options? I saw that there are sleeves available for around $115, but what is the machine shop cost of this? What are other options out there?

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
well when i had my bike sleeved i had it acid washed, the studs removed, bored out completely and a new sleeve inserted(back to stock) and new studs. I also ordered a wiseco STD and piston rings STD size as well. All that done in a weeke of giving it to my dealer it cost me about $350.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Get it plated. Sleeves cost about $115 but cost another $90 or so to have installed. That puts you right up in the same price range of a replate and the replate will be more durable and more resistant to future seizures (better cooling). Also, if there is no gouging and just aluminum stuck to the cylinder, you may be able to use an acidic cleaner and a hone to remove the debris. I hear oven cleaner works well.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
It has some pretty deep gouges in it. So it will have to be bored then chrome plated, right?

What about a ready-to-install jobbie like what Millenium Technologies offers?

Top Bottom