msomso

Sep 17, 2001
Anybody have experience with the 99 Polini X3. Has works pipe but I think it is a X3 mx.

It seems it runs too hot for a watter cooled bike. Any ideas on how to make it run cooler?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Typical Polini! They have had cooling problems from the get go. You can retard timing a bit. Are you using watter wetter mixed in with your coolant? It helps some. I cannot remember if the 99 was a single radiator bike or not. I think it was, correct me if I'm wrong. They went to a dual radiator design to get rid of this problem. A good source for Polini information is Mitch Stortzum. www.50ccperformance.com he has a polini chat forum.

msomso

Sep 17, 2001
It is a single radiator with an inline heat exchanger.

Does the extra raiator really help? want to be sure before i spend even more money on this thing.

Which way do I turn the stator plate to retard timing?

I apopreciate your feedback, I'll contact Mitch on price of Radiator

rmcmichael

Jun 27, 2002
Maybe this won't help, but a friend of mine has this bike also.
It finally dawned on him (probably after talking to his dealer)
that the water pump on this bike is driven off the sproket shaft.
This means WATER WILL NOT PUMP UNLESS THE REAR WHEEL
IS TURNING!

I think this is a poor design, but that is just me. If you already
knew this, sorry.

I got my son the X3 air cooled for this reason. Plus, at his age
and being a beginner, the air cooled still has plenty of go. And
our dealer told me he turns a lot fewer wrenches on the air
cooled motors than the water cooled ones. (But that may be
due to the water cooled ones being raced harder by more
advanced riders.)

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I don't really remember if the Polini turns backwards or not. I have not touched one in quite a while. Just kick it over and see which way the rotor moves. Then move the stator plate in the same direction. going against the rotor movement will advance timing.

I have seen several guys not start their Polini's til the last second at the line just because of the water pump situation.

Another thing I have seen overheat all the Mini's was the clutch. When a rider is new to the 3 shoe or dominator clutch the blip all the time. This causes the bike to overheat as the clutch gets really hot and transferes its heat to the motor. If this is the case you might switch to a 2 shoe until the kid gets used to it. Its really hard to keep kids from blipping until they are experienced at riding the bike.

msomso

Sep 17, 2001
He does blip it allot. That probably isn't helping. Drives me NUTS! He either has it FULL on or full off.

After reading your post, I wonder if I advanced the timing last time I had it apart instaed of retarding it
Thanks for the info.

I'll double check the timing and try to retard it some and work with my son on the throttle blipping!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
talk to mitch...i don't keep up with their costs. I know Cobra ones are over $150. So when you figure out the price for the Polinki it might just be too high. I've seen the 2-shoe clutch for a polini on E-bay lately. That might be a cheaper way to get the blipping down which should lower temps quite a bit. Also use Water Wetter it helps a bit too.

Mario

Feb 20, 2003
Hi this may be of no help but whilst I do not run a polini, the issue of 50cc's over heating effects all. We run a HM CRX and this used to heat up and we were told to increase the octane on the fuel. It was running unleaded with 40:1 oil. We were told by the HM Moto factory to bring this up to use Super Unleaded and to add 2% of Octane Boost to the fuel oil mixture. It did the trick for us. Running the hotter more efficient fuel mixture puts less pressure on the engine to produce its power and hence it runs cooler. Weird logic but it works on the HM.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Higher Octane fuel actually burns less easily. This keeps pre-detonation down so the fuel is not igniting before it should. This is how it keeps temps down. Rich Rohrich give a much better description of this in the mods and performance section. do a search on his ID and you'll get a super duty chemist description of what happens. I'm just paraphrasing.

Definetley worth a shot though.

Top Bottom