99 vs. 01 KX 250! Buying tonight! Have questions!

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I am driving down to Dallas after work today to look at two different dirtbikes. One is a 99 KX250 and the other is an 01 KX 250. Are there any major differences in these two bikes? This is going to be my first dirtbike. The 99 has quite a few mods and looks pretty clean from the large picture on cycle trader. It also comes with helmet, pants and jersey that are my size. I don't have any gear yet. All of this for $1,700. The 99 does have an LCS suspension and after doing a search on these forums about LCS, I didn't read one good thing about it. The 01 KX is super nice looking. It is the original owner and he says he has only ridden it 7 times since he bought it new in the spring of 02. It has handlebars and a skidplate, but no other mods. The bike looks brand new in the photo I have. I talked the guy down to $2,200 on the 01. Which do you guys think is the better deal? I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one of these bikes tonight so any advice as soon as possible would be great! The newness of the 01 is appealing to me, but the price and extras on the 99 are also appealing. What would YOU do? Thanks! Matt

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'd have to say, if you can swing it, go for the newer bike. Sometimes it's actually better to have a stock bike. While the extra gear that comes with the '99 has value, low hours has even greater value. Besides, I caution you on trusting a used helmet...while it may look OK, the foam may be compressed from a crash or two...rendering the helmet dangerous.

Regarding the suspension work on the ’99, it's only of any value if the rider who had the work performed was the same size & weight as you, and rode like you. If not, you'll have to spend money on the suspension anyway (possibility more money to un-do something wrong).

If it looks clean, go for the ’01.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Ditto what RV6 said. I would buy the 01 over the 99 all day long. A rider at your skill level won't see a noticable performance difference between either bike. If the bike really has only 7 rides on it, then there are a few things you can check to see if his story checks out.
  • The paint on the frame rails where your boots rub should not be worn down too bad. Maybe less than a couple square inches of bare metal, if any, should be showing.
  • There should not be any up and down play in the clutch lever
  • The bike should have the original tires on it with at least half of the tread left
  • The graphics should not be worn where your knees contact the bike
  • The chain buffer should look almost new, with minimal grooving from chain rub. The sprockets should look brand new.
Hope this helps.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Excellent info fellas! Thanks! I'm headed out the door in about 5 minutes! I'm really leaning towards the 01. I'm going to look at it first, and as long as it is in as good of shape as the seller says, I'm buying it! Thanks! Matt

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Man I'm stoked! I bought the 01 KX250 tonight! I didn't even go look at the other one. This bike is super clean! It still has the little nubs on the tires! WAY more than enough power for me too! I can't wait to get out and ride it! I drove about 430 miles in the past 8 hours to pick it up. I'm beat! Matt

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Congratulations! Enjoy the new bike.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Congratrs on a Great bike.. Let me know if you have any questions.. What type of riding are you planning on doing??
Rick

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Congrats on the new bike! :aj:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Very cool. Good luck and enjoy!

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
KC10Chief said:
WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Man I'm stoked! I bought the 01 KX250 tonight! I didn't even go look at the other one. This bike is super clean! It still has the little nubs on the tires! WAY more than enough power for me too! I can't wait to get out and ride it! I drove about 430 miles in the past 8 hours to pick it up. I'm beat! Matt

Congrats......Sounds like you got a clean very little used bike. ENJOY :yeehaw:

kx_dave

Jun 2, 2001
Congrats! I just went for a ride on my KX250 today. They're a rip! More than enough power for me that's for sure.

Good call getting the 2001 over the 1999. Sounds like an awesome deal.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom