'99 XR250R rear shock removal

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Hello -

What is the easiest way to get the rear shock off? I need to take mine in for service. Given the age of the bike, I should take the whole rear end apart and check/grease anyway, bot for now to get the shock over to the mechanic, what is the best way to get it out? Thanks!!

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Put it up on a stand.Go ahead and take off the seat and rear tire.You should be able to remove the shock without taking off the swing arm by taking off the top shock bolt and shock link bolt,I believe.If not and you have to remove the swingarm,mark everything you take apart and seperate it so you'll know how and where it came from.Yes grease every bolt and collar in linkage and swingarm.You should have the service manual to torque linkage back together.I lube mine 2 xs a year with blue grease

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Remove the rear wheel.
Remove bottom shock bolt and drop swingarm.
Remove top bolt and slide it out.

You might need to remove the dog bone if the bottom shock bolt is being difficult since it is in a tough location to gain some working room.

It's a lot easier with the airbox out (duh). Do yourself a favor and get a new top bearing and dust seals and pop the bearing in the freezer now. My linkage bearings were all in fine shape but I replaced them since it was apart. The swingarm pivot can be pretty ugly to remove if it hasn't been kept up, mine was a bear with corrosion and a slight bend. WD40, an air impact wrench to break it loose and spin it, a brass drift and big hammer finally got mine out :scream:

Top Bottom