eprovenzano

Nov 7, 2005
With proper jetting, you should never foul a plug. My son had a YZ 125, he fouled 2 plugs when we first got the bike, but I can only recall maybe one other time when he fouled a plug. I has a KX 250, I fouled one plug the entire time I rode it. We ride mostly woods. Proper jetting is not had to do, it just takes a little patience. The 300 is designed to be lugged all day, and then when you want it, it'll rip trough anything, Its an awesome bike. :)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The other thing is it's easier to jet a bigger 2 stroke like a 300 than a smaller one like 125. It's apparently due in large part to less air velocity through the carb than in the little screamers.

Mar 8, 2007
goatman21 said:
So are none of you guys with the 300s having problems with fouling plugs when you lug them around all day? The last two stroke I had was a YZ 125 and unless you were on it all the time it would foul plugs and it really put a damper on woods riding.

Honestly I have only fouled 1 plug since I bought the bike new last year, and I ride every sunday in super tight single track, and the only reason it fouled was I moved the clip down one notch, when I changed the needle.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
my 300 has never fouled a plug. it's alot of power in long tight sections at sea level, but the G 2 throttle settled that.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
so i just bought a 200, i am 5,8 and bout 140 pounds. i do not ride super tight woods , tight but open enough that you can keep it in third most of the day. i have yet to pick up my 200 but after all this talk aobut the great 300 have i made a bad choice. i have enough space i can keep it high enough in the powerband so is the 200 gunna be great or no? i have got myself a little worried.

BrianVT

Sep 24, 2004
You'll love the 200. We're splitting hairs here.
There is no perfect bike for all conditions. I love my 300 but I'd love a 200 too. All the bikes are fantastic these days.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
another vote for the GG

I have an EC300 (the true EC with the heavier flywheel) and love it. I also have a trials throttle on it which gives me great throttle control in the slick muck we get in the PNW in the winter, though I think I'm going to take it off for the summer.

I traded bikes for a while and rode my friends yzf250 yesterday and couldn't wait to get back on my bike. The YZF is a fine bike, but it felt so much heavier. I missed the flick-ness of the GG.

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
Re-Birth of this thread?

eprovenzano said:
I just purchased a new to me 00 KTM 300 EXC. I'm had a 125 and 250, but the 300 is by far the better woods bike.

First I have the EXC version, the enduro version. The suspension is softer than am MX bike which I like The power delivery can easily adjusted to suit your riding style from a 4 stroke like power to a light switch pull your arms out of your shoulders power, by adjusting and changing the spring rate in the power valves. Set it to your preference.

The 300's are heavier than 200's no doubt, but they live up to the 3 stroke nickname. It is happy being lugged around, and is just as happy ripping down a road or track as fast as your willing to go...

With the smaller bikes you need to be on your game when riding the woods. You need to be looking ahead making sure you are in the proper gear, are carrying enough speed, and are in the proper RPM range. The 300 allows you to be lazy, the bike has so much torque you can make a mistake, and just roll on the throttle and it will take you where you need to go. :cool:

Just my $.02 worth.

Hopefuly we can continue this discussion. I know I've said this before. I started trail riding in a GG 300 I now believe it was poorly setup for me and my ability at that time. Sold and jumped the 4t bandwagon. I would like to take a shot at the 2T again. After reading this post can anyone specify the differences between riding a 300 2T vs. a 250F? I know that the power will be totally different but my questions is more towards clutch and throttle usage. I remember that after riding my 300 a couple of hours when I returned home "POOPED" :( . Now after riding my 4T I'm not that destroyed. I would (like) to think that my abilities have increased from that time and would like to try it one more time. Riding tecniques are different right?

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
endurotuff said:
...I remember that after riding my 300 a couple of hours when I returned home "POOPED" :( . Now after riding my 4T I'm not that destroyed....
Like you, I switched from a 360 2T and moved to a 250F because the "beast" was kicking my butt. That Husky 360 would lug from the root cellar and had a cast iron piston(not really). The problem was that it would jump off idle like a bucking bronco. The milder 250 4T is MUCH less tiring to ride. I think a lot of it may be Japanese vs. European frame geometry.
Anyhow, I took the 'ole 360 out last month after a year on the 250F, and it was right back to:
"Whoooa Nelly!!!".
Gotta love the beastly power, but it IS taxing!

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
Magellan said:
I also have a trials throttle on it which gives me great throttle control in the slick muck we get in the PNW in the winter, though I think I'm going to take it off for the summer.

I am not familiar with this throttle, Could you please give me more info on it? Where can I get one?

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
OldTimer said:
Like you, I switched from a 360 2T and moved to a 250F because the "beast" was kicking my butt. That Husky 360 would lug from the root cellar and had a cast iron piston(not really). The problem was that it would jump off idle like a bucking bronco. The milder 250 4T is MUCH less tiring to ride. I think a lot of it may be Japanese vs. European frame geometry.
Anyhow, I took the 'ole 360 out last month after a year on the 250F, and it was right back to:
"Whoooa Nelly!!!".
Gotta love the beastly power, but it IS taxing!

Been there,done that, have the hospital receipts to prove it!! :laugh: I always thought my bike was poorly setup. Could it be that I don't have "throttle control" like I should?? :whoa:

Top Bottom