A Call To All Parents - Need Help

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
A Petition To All - Is Motocross Safe For Children?

IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS - PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND RESPOND - DON'T BE SHY

All,

I am putting up this post to graciously ask for your support for my children and our love of motocross. I don't want to get into all the details, but I am going through an ugly divorce after I found my ex had an affair. Be that as it may, it is over. But that does not mean it is over for the kids. I have a six year old that has been riding since he was 3. He loves the sport and recently ran his first race. It did not matter how he did, but the fact he was doing what he had always dreamed about, and accomplishing his goals. He ended up having a safe race and coming in 4th. You would have thought he won a championship when he came smiling off the track. Family and friends were there to support him.

Now to the ugly part. The mother is trying to prevent him from riding and racing. Not because she really thinks it is unsafe, but because it is an activity with me. She reference the many injuries I have had over my 20 years of riding and is positioning that in front of the courts to put an end to his dreams. I know this is something my child wants to do and I want to see him accomplish his dreams. She remains bitter and distracted from what really matters -- the children. She was in support of him riding and ultimately racing before things headed in a poor direction.

I see racing and riding as one of the best family oriented activities that exist. Yes, you race as an individual. But look in the pits, kids, parents, grandparents, people you don't even know reaching out and supporting one another. Sure, everyone worries that the worst can happen, but people practice, prepare, and understand the risks. No parent wants to put their child in a dangerous situation. I feel that my experience, my child's preparation, and the support of family, friends, and track workers ultimately makes for the best situation. Statistically more than many other "accepted" scholastic sports.

I ask for your responses and support in an effort to build a list of people across the world that support the Riding and Racing families. Please show your passion by sharing your experiences and situation (especially if you have kids).

Please keep in mind I do plan on printing this out for an upcoming session with the Judge on August 25th. With almost 30,000 members on this site, I hope I get responses from all of you and we have the largest thread in history. It is time to come together and help a fellow rider and his son that will forever be indebted to you.

God Bless and Thank You in Advance

Here is a picture of my son: (Hmmm, not sure why photo did not show in post)

http://www.dirtrider.net/teamdrn/showphoto.php?photo=4790

Last edited:

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
I'm sorry to you and your son, to me this is one of the worst things that could happen in almost any situation. It took me 14 years to convince my parents to let me even have a dirtbike. Now, if someone told me I had to quit, and I didn't have any say at all, I would about die.

While the references to injurys are relevant, they are not the issue. The issue is of letting a child pursue what he wants to do. The injurys and present, but they are just as likely as happening in any stick and ball sport. I've broken my nose and partially tore my ACL. The perpetrating sports, were baseball and basketball. Don't let a stupid excuse like that be the ending of your childs dreams.

In my view, the absolute worst thing any parent could ever do, isn't beat them, isn't neglect them, the worst thing they could do, is prevent a child from pursuing their dreams.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
I read a reference from a reply to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette that stated in 1998 there were 200,000 emergency room admissions from Basketball related injuries for kids 5 to 14.- 20 times more than motorcycles.

In that same age group, Baseball fatalities are higher with 3-4 deaths per year.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't think it matters if it's racing or just riding, spending time with your kid(s) as a parent is THE most important thing any parent could do. Heck it could even be soccer or fishing it doesn't really matter what activity, it's the time and interaction that's important. Since your child likes to ride/race why would his mother deprive her own child of something that they enjoy and are obviously good at? STUPID and SELFISH. Injury is part of ANY activity, fishing you could get a hook in your hand, face, neck... soccer has plenty of twisted ankles and bloody noses, even broken arms. Also any of the team sports is typically you on the side lines and your kid interacting with somebody else. Now I guess origami is possible but those darned paper cuts can get nasty and well maybe your child doesn't like making paper swans so it's not exactly "quality" time. So what could be better than your child spending time with you either riding or working on the bike? Then a few laps racing, then back in the pits for more interaction on what the bike might need or what the child felt, or God forbid no wrenching and just quality time. :laugh: Oh and lets not even go look at how your child might actually have a grat time and build self confidence at a time when they need it most.

Your Ex is being a bitch and she's going to hurt the child more than you. What a great mom. :silly:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I personally don't understand how a parent can be so intent on destroying their spouse that they would sacrifice their child in the process.
I firmly believe that to take away an activity as wholesome as dirtbiking is detrimental to a child in times of the upheaval that divorce causes. My family is stronger because of our ties to dirtbiking. Yes it is a dangerous sport but so are football and other mainstream sports. Injuries occur in anything you do day to day.
My son has gained invaluable experience thru motocross. He has made lifetime friends who are all positive influences in his life. The track is one of the few places I feel absolutely safe allowing a 15 yr old to run free with a pack of friends. They are well behaved and realize that any activity with drugs and /or alcohol would end their participation. There are plenty of adults around to re-enforce that they must behave.
To deny a child anything that is as good for them as dirtbiking can only be detrimental. The bond that developes between a parent and child can only be enhanced when they share a sport together.
Good luck with the divorce and try your best to keep your son from being used as a lever.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
A little more insight.

If he had no desire to ride or race. I would not make him just because I do. If he were interested in something else, I would put forth my efforts to helping him achieve that dream.

He was very happy when he got his trophy. The next day he showed everyone he spoke to. Full of cheer and delight. He we back to his mother that night. From what my older son told me. She scoled him and made him cry for racing. 3 days later when they came to my house again, he would not even look at his trophy or talk about riding. He expresses that he wants to ride, but his mother has him so fearful that he (or I) are doing something illegal. I feel responsible for putting him in that situation, I just did not think she would act that way and be more supportive of his successful ride.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
It's unfortunate that your wife has decided to use the children as a weapon in the proceedings in a thinly veiled guise of doing what's best for their safety. These kind of ploys always seem to cause bitterness and resentment down the road from all parties involved.

More on topic now the subject of allowing your son to ride and or race. My son has participated in baseball, soccer and still participates in hockey and racing MX. While injuries in MX are a known risk they are certainly not out of line with participation in other sports. With that being said I'd like to focus on the Family aspect of racing and the nature of the environment your son will be immersed in at the track. With all the other sports my son has been involved in none has had the impact on our family life like racing, we now spend more time together as a family (i.e. every weekend) as we camp out Saturdays in the pits before our Sunday races. With his other sports we would drive him to the field or arena stay to watch his game and then drive him home but our involvement was minimal at best but at the race track the family is a team and we enjoy our time together functioning as that team.

As for the environment to expand more on oldguys comments I have never meet a more respectful group of young adults involved in any other sport like I see every weekend at the MX track. I never worry about my son at the track as no matter who he is with it will never be the "wrong" crowd. The sport teaches maturity and sportsmanship. One of the first comments I made to my wife about racing was how everyone seems to get along. The racers are out banging bars for a position for a 20 minute moto and then come off the track and high five each other on a great race you see this in very few other sports from young adults.

Hopefully you and your wife can come to an agreement on this issue as well as the many more that are sure to pop up in the next few years without using your children as bargaining tools or weapons in the process.

I wish you luck.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Back when i was into racing jet ski's ( i was a holder) i hooked up w/this family.. The son was the racer, his mother made sure all the hotel reservations, entry fees, food was taken care of.. His sister was/is his biggest cheerleader and support and Pops turned the wrenches.. We didn't have a enclosed trailer or stuff like that, but out "Team" was the one too beat in expert ski 785 SS.. All in all, was a family team that stuck it out thhrough good and bad.. All forms of racing IMO are a family involvement..
RIck

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Having been in dirt bikes all my life, with no real injuries just bangs and bruises, I'd have to say that this is the best family sport and activity out there. It gives kids a focus and something to attain to (and something that can be taken away if grades or behavior aren't up to snuff); it keeps kids away from drugs and other negative influences; it's a family activity in every way, much more so than the conventional stick-n-ball sports. I've watched racing and bikes in general help provide direction and meaning for dozens of kids and a lot of adults. Yes, injuries happen, but injuries occur in every real sport (golf is a game, not a sport). More important, racing allows a child to learn the lessons that he/she is responsible for his/her own success or failure --- a lesson that's hard to teach or learn with all the focus on team sports. When we go to races, my wife and daughter are my biggest cheerleaders when I'm on the track, and we're our daughter's when she's out there. She's almost 12 now, strong, healthy, smart, athletic in a variety of sports and knows that she has to maintain good grades to participate in dirt bikes, just like her other sports. To deny a child (or an adult) the privilege to take part in this wonderful activity in the name of Divorce Revenge, is unfair and likely to have lasting repercussions for the child. Your wife should consider the ultimate implications of denying your son the freedom to participate in a sport that he obviously loves.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I am sorry to hear that you have to go thru this. "Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned" and in her twisted view of things she is being evil because she feels it is wrong of you to leave her because she was no longer happy with you. After all it is your fault she wasn't happy and she had to go out an have an affair. :silly: I am sorry for the sarcasm, it is probably something you don't need right now , but I just can't stand the way some women think like this. The bitterness I feel towards this attitude of people like that is of empathy for you.

Racing in the amature level for children is no more dangerous than playing football, hockey or even baseball if you ask me. Heck a kid can go out in the back yard, climb tree, and get hurt. Was it ok for you and your son to go racing so she can have time to sneak off but now that she doesn't have an alternative motive it,s not ok?

I would try to prove that racing is not anymore dangerous than just being a child growing up in other sports. I would also try to prove that racing was ok when she was your wife, but now it is only a spiteful thing to hurt you since you and your child enjoy it. Without your child around ask her if she really wants to take the fun out of your sons life. Ask her what is she going to say to your son when he asks "how come daddy doesn't take me racing"?

talk to a lawyer about what of these personal things you should bring up in front of a judge. It might be useful for a judge to understand these things or not. Those would be thethings I think I would be thinking about if in your situation if I didnt get too bitter. And try not to be bitter towards your future exwife in front of your child and try and make your wife to see the same thing. Your child is going to be unfortunately a bargaining chip, try to be a voice of reason in these tough times , that your sons are going thru a rough time also with this and that you dont want them to think that one parent is better than the other and that they are the most important thing in the world to the both of you<I am surethey are but you will need to reinforce that to them and possibley your wife>

My best wishes for all of you I really do hope an amicable agreement is reached for your children's sake

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
While standing along side of the pee wee track at a local race track, I was talking to another grandfather watching his grandson ride. He told me, " This is the greatest thing that has ever happened to our family. We have three generations of family here tonight enjoying each others company. This is something we've never been able to do before."

I agreed, since we also had three generations of family there ourselves.

At that time his grandson Jake and my grandson Max were about six. Max is eleven now and still racing. He has earned 110 trophys. He has traveled to many other states to race and has met quite a few of his heros. He is well respected at his school even by his upper classmates. Jake is also still racing and doing very well.

Not too long ago, he got a bad grade for not turning in an assignment on time. His parents told him he would not get to go to the track for practice because of this grade. Well, Max took it upon himself to go to the teacher and ask for an extra assignment to make up the grade. :scream:

His life revolves around his family and his racing. He is not the least bit interested in hangin with the 'gangsta' type kids at school. He just doesn't have time for that. Of course, those kids have nothing but time and very little parental guidence.

Having been involved in this sport all of my life, I have seen some very good things and people come from racing. The things that it teaches can't be learned in school. Responsibility, maturity, determination, sportsmanship, all comes with the territory.

Like most sports there is an element of danger. But, with proper training, conditioning and safety gear much of the danger can be eliminated. In a world of lethergic, overweight kids, stuffing their faces with big mac's, I would think the danger of heart attack and stroke would be more of a concern.

It is truly a shame that your ex is using your son as a bargaining chip. Nothing good can come of that.

The best of luck to you Dave.

Ol'89r,, 44 years and counting in the sport of motorcycling. :thumb:

Last edited:

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
jmics, you make some great points that I am always thinking about. I have learned a lot through this. The most major is that nothing should change in front of the kids, I make sure that I am respectful of their mother. Saying nasty thing or being bitter in front of kids is a bad burden on the children. People need to remember that children see themselves as a product of their parents. If you say something bad about one parent, the child can potentially feel as if there is something wrong with them.

I am acountable for this marriage and have no regrets about it. Two beautiful children were brought into this would from it. Something went wrong along the way to cause her to have the affair. I had hoped that it would have been more recognizable along the way and communication better to avoid this situation that the children are in. However, I can only deal with the situation at hand. My focus is and will remain that of the future and well being of our children.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Dave, first I am terribly sorry to hear about the divorce. Your (soon to be ex) wife doesn't realize what she is doing obviously. Now, I am not one to talk about family and relationships when marriage is involved because I myself have never been married, being that I am only 21. But, I do have a lot to say about riding.

I started riding approximately a year ago. Most of you know PapaKeith, he's my stepdad. When I first started riding I did it because I felt PapaK was taking my boyfriend away from me, and I need an excuse to spend more time with Rob (my boyfriend). I tagged along almost every weekend when the boys went riding, but I never really got "into" it. It took me about 3-4 months just to get out of first gear. One day in April PapaK said to me "A bunch of us from DRN are getting together to go to Paragon, wanna go?". I was like "Oh I don't know, I'm not good enough, blah blah blah." Turns out, I ended up going and had an absolute blast. It was from there that I realized that riding was really for me. Ever since I've been riding and just pushing myself as hard as I can to get better. I've since bought all the gear I need, paid for my DRN membership, etc...

The moral of the story is my personal life and relationship with PapaKeith has greatly improved since that weekend. Before we were just so so because he's my stepdad and we never really bonded or worked together to build a strong relationship. Well now we have something in common and our relationship grows stronger day by day. Kids need a way to bond and build a relationship with their parents whether they're 6 or 21 or 75. Your wife needs to realize that your son will grow more and more bitter and distant from her if she keeps him away from the things he loves to do and he may end up with you in the long run because he'll be better off.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
Here is some factual info I found regarding other "socially accepted" children activities:

· A recent survey found that among athletes ages 5 to 14, 15 percent of basketball players, 28 percent of football players, 22 percent of soccer players, 25 percent of baseball players and 12 percent of softball players have been injured while playing their respective sports.

· Nearly half of all sports- and recreation-related head injuries to children are caused by bicycle, skating and skateboard incidents

· In 2001, more than 4,500 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for water skiing, tubing and surfing-related injuries.

· In 2001, nearly 205,300 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for basketball-related injuries.

· In 2001, an estimated 194,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for football-related injuries.

· In 2001, more than 79,300 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for soccer-related injuries

· Baseball has the highest fatality rate among all sports for children ages 5 to 14. Each year, three to four children die from injuries sustained while playing baseball. In 2001, more than 110,100 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for baseball- or softball-related injuries.

· In 2000, 168 children ages 14 and under died in bicycle-related crashes. In 2001, more than 278,800 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for bicycle-related injuries.

· Since 1992, at least 39 children ages 14 and under have died from inline skating injuries; the majority of these deaths were from collisions with motor vehicles.

· In 2001, more than 42,800 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for inline skating-related injuries, and an estimated 28,900 were treated for roller skating-related injuries

· In 2001, at least 10 children ages 14 and under died and more than 85,800 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for unpowered scooter-related injuries.

· In 2001, an estimated 56,300 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for skateboard-related injuries. Six out of every ten skateboarding injuries occur among children ages 14 and under.

· In 2001, more than 74,500 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for trampoline-related injuries. The majority of trampoline injuries are the result of colliding with other jumpers, falling from or onto the trampoline, or doing stunts. More than 90 percent of trampoline-related injuries occur at home, and the injuries predominantly involve the extremities.

· Between 1993 and 2000, more than 24,000 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for amusement ride-related injuries.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
Is motocross safe for my child?

An excerpt from an article (full article here: http://allsands.com/Kids/motocrosssafety_nc_gn.htm )

Motocross can be a fun family sport, if it’s handled like any other organized sport. It can be safe, and educational for all involved. It can instill confidence, determination and discipline.

Too often in the past it has been treated by parents as a renegade sport that they didn’t want their child involved with, and that is the kind of attitude that can lead to an unsafe situation.

With the rising popularity of motocross and its indoor brother supercross, more and more children are diving into the fold then ever before, and there are no signs that it’s going to go away anytime soon.

More people are seriously injured on football fields each year in America than on motocross tracks. Like any other sport, learning the finer points can make the difference between years of fun and accomplishment, and getting hurt in the first fifteen minutes and giving up the sport forever.

So embrace your child’s will to participate in this amazing sport. Learn with them, supervise them, and stress safety, because safety breeds fun and fun breeds the desire to excel.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
My daughter, now 12, became interested in off road motorcycling when she was 8. I was very cautious of the sport because I didn't understand what it was about then. Only after experiencing it first hand was I able to comprehend the quality of time spent together in such an activity. The people involved in this sport are quite unlike any I've met anywhere else, quick to lend a hand and 1st to offer assistance and encouragement. Simply put good role models. Sort of like edification in a real sense. My child has learned patience, persistence and commitment as well as self-confidence. She is the type of person I would have never guessed would be interested in a motorcycle, she was always the cheerleader / gymnastic type. Her mother & I divorced when my daughter was 9 months old and it's has been only the two of us since then, I know my kid well. This has been good for the both of us and has kept us very close to one another. It's not to say that there is no risk involved. I will say that my daughter has had a much more serious injury as a cheerleader has in school than she ever had at the track on a motorcycle.

Last edited:

ThumperBill

Aug 25, 2003
Dave I may be late, but here goes anyway,

Let me give you a piece of advice here. Unfortunately I have A LOT of experience in this area. I have two kids from two different mothers. I know, I know, I've got a couple screws loose, you have no idea, but you do have to admit I have more experience then you.

You are doing right by not fighting with her in front of the kids. It hurts the kids more then either one of you. DON'T FORGET THAT. And don't forget who is important here... the kids.

Next. Stop fighting about the bikes. Right now. Today. You've drawn a line in the sand over the top of the motorcycles. The motorcycles and the kids are gonna lose. Just let it go. Fight about something else you don't care so much about.

Next. You keep riding and don't sell the kids bikes just yet. Understand that you will get visitation rights with your kids. If you stay the course of reason, love and tolerance, it will all come back to you. I promiss.

Unfortunately the kids know that mom is whacked right now, and it scares them. They might even believe SOME of the crap she is undoubtedly saying about you. They want to believe their Mom and Dad because they are little and they love you both. YOU must be the Parent they need right now. Even though they are little, they see through most of the bull. It may take a year or two, but you'll be riding with them again one day.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
ThumperBill,

I agree. I don't really care if the kids race or not. Either way, they can still ride. So the bikes don't go to waste, and the kids still have fun with their friends. The only reason I am pushing is that the little one realyy wants to do this. I have told him that either way he can ride and he has plenty of time to race. It is hard when many of his friends are at the races and people ask him if he is racing.

I am starting to see the signs of patience anyway. The kid's do know what is going on. I just keep letting them know that Dad AND Mom still love them. We have a lifetime together. A few times racing this summer is only a spec in their lives.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Look---there's no way a judge will allow this:

• She allowed it before the divorce. Therefore, she will have no ethical reason/right to deny him now--other than trying to hit where it counts.
  • Be patient--the judge will probably sense her bitter attempt and deny it.
  • Try to give it time--be careful not to strike bak at her with similar, undesirable behavior. She may actually come to her senses with time.
  • She has wronged YOU here--I would guess that will help @ least some. I am not, however, a lawyer--nor have I gone through a divorce.
  • Try to keep your anger under wraps--anger never helps in these situations. THIS is something I know about, as I'm in a bitter fight with the hospital right now.
  • I don't think legally she can prohibit any certain kind of thing you do together when you're together. It's usually when you've done something seriously wrong like using IV drugs in front of them, or driven drunk with them--only then could she impose directly observed time with your child.
    [/list=a]

Man, I feel for you--looks like a great kid. Make sure and let us know how this is working out for you. Best wishes. You'll be fine.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
UPDATE:

We did get into court on Monday. This was only a minor issue being raised from my point of view. The main reason I was there was to seek legal custody in order to make good decisions for the kids. She really messed up last year by not taking the school's early reccomendation to get additional support for the little one. He ended up getting a reccomendation to be held back from Kindergarten. For 6 months I pushed to raise awareness to this and felt with early help he would have received a "go forward" reccomendation from the school. However, the mother decided to no get him additional help (because she thought that would look bad for custody) and she signed him up for first grade (there is no pass/fail for kindergarten, it is up to the parents). There is a bunch of other harmful things she has done to hurt the kids. I raise the racing one here since it pertains to our sport.

The good thing is that the judge appeared to listen to me and ask questions about the sport. I had pictures from when he was 3 on the bike (she took the pictures). I also had his trophy and drawings he made of him, his brother, and I at the races.

The judge said he would get back to us. Keep in mind, he currently races BMX and that is OK with mother since she can do it with him.

I will let you know. If the ruling comes back negative with this, it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of the relationship I have with my children. But it would be a nice way for us to be a team.

rfs mike

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2002
A letter to the non-riding society...

I have been riding motorcycles for quite a few years now. I’m 45 and still love it. My doctor says its great exercise and helps word off old age. I do not do the big jumps or the supercross. I’m what we call a "Wood’s Rider." I ride trails through the woods. I race Hare Scrambles and Enduros. We race anywhere from 2 to up to 6 hours straight, depending on the race. Stopping only for gas. We ride in different classes such as Pro, AA, B, C, over 30, over 40, over 50, and then different size bikes also. We race through the woods where there usually are not too many spectators. We race against the weather, rocks, trees, mud and what ever Mother Nature throws at us. We race against 40 to sometimes as many as 300 other riders on the same 4 to up to 13 mile course through the woods. Enduros we race from 50 to over 100 miles. We stop and ask "are you ok" if we see some one on the ground or give someone gas that’s ran out, not knowing if you’ll have enough to make it to the gas stop yourself. We stop and tell the course worker that someone’s broke down back there or help a stranger pull his bike out of the mud and he helps you pull yours out. Even in the middle of a race. Because caring and camaraderie are more important than winning for most of us. We work some of the races. Put up course markers, take them down, ride behind everyone making sure everyone makes it back safe. All for the hefty sum of "0". We help someone we don’t even know get out of the woods with an injury. We put his bike on his truck for him. We don’t sue because you ran into me. That’s racing. We all know that. We sometimes wonder "What the heck am I doing out here?" only to feel the elation at the end to know you finished. You didn’t drop out. Or maybe even do well and receive a trophy. There’s only a few that are good enough to make money and even fewer that make a living at it. We take the whole family out for the weekend and do some casual trail riding. Then we sit around the campfire and talk about that big hill or laugh at the time dad was showing off for mom and he fell over or that big downhill that sis didn’t want to go down but made it. We ride and race this way because we love riding! It’s in our heart and soul. It lets us know we’re alive. Sure there’s some danger but there’s danger in any sport. Sure you may get hurt but you get hurt in any sport if you do it long enough. Is it more dangerous than other sports? Maybe! I have read many statistics that prove otherwise but that’s not what this is about. The heart and soul. This is about what I think the real heart of off-road motorcycling is. The thrill, the adrenaline, the fun, the values, the confidence, the accomplishments, the camaraderie. It’s a way of life.&nbsp; Please don't take this from me.

Signed,

Off road rider

Ringo_au

Jul 18, 2003
I feel for you mate.
No family should ever have to go through what you are going through.
My parents divorced when i was a little tacker, and i know how bad it can be.
With that being said, i do however hope everything turns out well for you and kids.
Good luck with the process and i am sure everything will work out well for you.
The whole of this website is behind you and your efforts.
Keep your chin up cheif.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Here is a little history of myself and why I believe that dirtbiking has been an important addition to my life:

I took my first ever ride on a dirtbike a little more than a year ago. I was instantly hooked. :yeehaw: Less than a week later I bought a bike of my own. My dad (Fred T) has been riding for quite a while, so he was able to help me and guide me as I learned. Through him and DRN I was able to get to know a lot of people I never would have met otherwise. These people are some of the most helpful, thoughtful and fun people I have ever met. I am making friendships that are very important to me with people who have been helping and guiding me. Many of them will go out of their way to do something for a fellow rider in need, no questions asked. Never have I come across a place where people are as helpful as this.

Owning my dirtbike has taught me a lot about responsibility. I have loan and insurance payments to make on my bike (as well as the insurance on my car). I have to make sure that I am going to have enough money each month to make all of my payments, and if I'm not going to make it, I have to find another way of earning the money in time. Taking care of and protecting my investment are also some very valuable things I have learned. Lessons that I will undoubtedly need to know when I'm out on my own.

I also feel healthier now that I ride dirtbikes. Until I started riding, I had no physically demanding activity that I participated in. The closest I came was golf. I have improved my strength and endurance as a result of riding. I feel healthier, and because I know that my health and strength are important to riding as well as to the rest of my life, I'm trying harder to make sure that I stay in good health.

My confidence in myself has also improved. There are many times when I'm out riding that I come across a difficult situation, but if I think it through carefully and clearly, I can figure it out. I have participated in two beginner enduros so far, and I have taken 1st and 2nd in my class (with a lot of help from my friends in the Michigan Trail Riders :worship:). I have also learned more about taking risks. I had never been much of a risk taker before I started riding, but I have come to learn that sometimes it's necessary to take risks in life, sometimes with a good outcome, sometimes bad...but with each outcome a valuable lesson in learned.

I could go on for hours. Dirtbiking has brought so many important lessons and experiences to my life, and will continue to do so for years to come. It is impossible for me to measure the gains I have made though this sport, and I know that I would missing out on so much if I had to let it go. :worship:

Good luck Dave, I hope everything turns out for the best for you and your children. :thumb:

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
Still no response from the courts. Anxiously waiting to hear what they say. It will be 4 weeks next Monday.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom