r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
Hi,I dont know if this is normal or not,but when i snick it into 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in hard to the bar,it makes a good clunk,and the bike wants to edge forwards...kind of more than i remember it used to when it was new.The other thing is that when the motor is off,and the bike in 1st gear,there is no way you can roll it frorward or backward with the clutch lever pulled in hard to the bars again(hot or cold).I have the correct amount of lever end play,the acuating arm on top of the clutch cover is between the 80/90 degrees as stated in the manual,gear oil always fresh,and pulled the clutch basket out to have a look....really no grooves on the clutch basket fingers to speak of at all,i cant compare what the steel and fibre plates should look like,but they appear ok.its an 07 kdx 200 with not alot of hours on it,maybe 200hrs max.If every else has the same characteristics with their clutch,and i hope so..then sweet!!if not,what should i be looking for.....
Thanks
Roger.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Most bikes (but not all) will do that when they are used for the first time that day, unless you have had the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in (motor off) and rocked it back and forth to free up the clutch plates as they sometimes stick. However if your bike does that all the time hot and cold and all of the adjustments are good, then you are most likely looking at a stretched clutch cable. All the adjustments can be good but when you pull the clutch in, instead of engaging the clutch all the way the cable stretches giving only partial engagement.
There may be an oil grade related issue causing the clutch to drag, but I would be primarily looking at the cable at this stage.

r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
Hi Guys,
Well...i put everything back together(i have the workshop manuel),filled it with 700ml of fresh Silkolene 10-40 2t gear box oil,adjusted the lever...and wouldnt you know it.....now its worse!!,its like i have no clutch at all now!! what the??
The lever pulls in to the bar with the same amount of resistance as before,so ok,i can see the small actuating lever on top of the of the clutch housing moving forward and returning back ok...but basically,there is no clutch engagement at all......pull the clutch in(motor idling),snick it into 1st gear,and Wham!!bike jumps forward and stalls!
Gonna have to pull it apart again aint i,and see if i did something wrong!!

Copy that on the clutch cable Joburble,but if i adjust the hell out of it,just to isolate that as a problem...would it still stretch that much to give me a non operating clutch?

is there any threads around with pics of new and worn clutch plates to give me a bench mark to go off,and what about the springs....i wonder.......

Cant blame it on this Slikolene oil that i just started using...that would be too easy!!

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
r.2 stroke said:
Copy that on the clutch cable Joburble,but if i adjust the hell out of it,just to isolate that as a problem...would it still stretch that much to give me a non operating clutch?

Either measure it against a new one or measure the cable movement at the lever and measure the cable movement where it connects to the acutator arm. If it's stretchy enough to cause the problem you should be able to pick that up. A stretchy cable will cause a bit of drag but it does now sound like your problem may be more than that, I would start looking for something other than the cable especially if the actuator arm is moving plenty.

Did you check the plates for warp like sr5bidder suggested? Service limit 0.3mm

Worn springs would give you slip not grabbage.

Prior to you putting it back together this time, was the problem getting progressively worse or did it just suddenly happen?

Re: Cable. I am in East Auckland, if you want to check your cable against mine you can bring your cable over. Or bring your bike over and fit my cable and see if that helps. My cable only has 20 hrs on it.

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
you did put the flat and the cone washer on correctly and the thick washer (92200)between the basket and the (13086) clutch wheel, the waher will "slip" down if you arn't look'n!!! just 2 things I see alot...hope it helps

r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
Joburble said:
Either measure it against a new one or measure the cable movement at the lever and measure the cable movement where it connects to the acutator arm. If it's stretchy enough to cause the problem you should be able to pick that up. A stretchy cable will cause a bit of drag but it does now sound like your problem may be more than that, I would start looking for something other than the cable especially if the actuator arm is moving plenty.

Did you check the plates for warp like sr5bidder suggested? Service limit 0.3mm

Worn springs would give you slip not grabbage.

Prior to you putting it back together this time, was the problem getting progressively worse or did it just suddenly happen?

Re: Cable. I am in East Auckland, if you want to check your cable against mine you can bring your cable over. Or bring your bike over and fit my cable and see if that helps. My cable only has 20 hrs on it.

Thanks Joburble,im gonna tear it down wednesday night,and go over everything carefully with the manual in hand,if that doesn't work...copy that on checking out your cable.

Top Bottom