A Different V-Force II Fit Question

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
When I originaly installed a V-Force II on my 94 KDX I too had to file the sides of the cage to fit as well as open up mounting holes; this was with factory supplied high tension setting.

Well, high tenison just put back some of the MX hit that I had tuned out with needle selection and flywheel weight.

Now that I just changed tension to low position, the plastic tension bar hits the cylinder housing. It appears that this small intereference fit would not allow the forward part of the tension bar to interferere with reed operation, but it does tweak the cage slightly and that MIGHT effect reed action.

I'll be calling Jeff at Motoassinari in the morning, but, anybody else had this happen? The thing definitely showed increased throttle response over Boysen power reeds but it bums me out that I've spent some much time screwing around with fit & finish. :flame:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Just talked to Jeff at Motoassinari.
He wasn't aware of a fit problem with low tension setting for a 94 KDX but said they have had this complaint before. He is sending tension bars with a lower profile that will fit but also allow for longer reed life at low tension (I'm not sure why).
Jeff has owned 2 KDX's and thinks that the lower tension will not make that much difference. He also said that the Delta Force 3 will be pre set at high tension and that HP gains & throttle response improvements are due to "stuffing" of the reed block as well as minor design improvements (it's also patented).

CC or anyone else out there find much performance differences in tension settings?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The difference in tension settings is huge.

I find 'high' to be useless. I've tried it on two different reed blocks with two different carbs.

Granted, I'm using my -30 (rev) pipe where it really shouldn't be used..but the combination of 'low' tension reed setting and the -30 pipe is perfect for my application. I get a bottom end that rivals the -35 and a top end that will walk away from an orange thing. Perfect!

I am nonplussed about the lower profile reed strip. I understood their 'reed life' improvement to be a higher tension reed with a lower tension stop. :think:

In any case, I'm assuming that whatever they change will be to my riding detriment. That's just the way things go, it seems..........:(

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Thanks for the input.
If my replacement tension bar is not in by Saturday, I'm making one from brass or stainless as this will be the last mod I wanted to try for increased tractability testing :thumb:

BTW, decreased reed life is due to continuos, high RPM use according to Jeff; not something a KDX would likely see in the woods.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom