Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I did some searching in this forum with not much success; (maybe I'm looking in the wrong forum),

I would like some input on a good digital camera for moto. I have a 3.2 meg Fuji, but it is completly wrong for racing, (delayed shutter speed, no zoom, small card, ect)... not good.

So in the price range of $250-350. I am looking for some suggestions from the digital gurus among us. I was thinking 10X optical zoom, high speed shutter, plenty of card space, and able to run along time on batteries.

Suggestions appreciated!

For Sale - (1)  Fuji  3.2 meg fine pix digital camera --   Cheap

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
shaw

I really like my Olympus c-700. has 10x optical zoom.   This model is now "old news" as they have a new model with higher resolution etc available.  Mine is "only" 2.1 megapixel - and i have never had issue with resolution.  Keep in mind to that high resolution means big file size, equals fewer pics on a given size data card. Card space is just a few bucks away from an upgrade to a large card now days.  10X zoom though in your price range is likely difficult - i only found them in the $700 range a year or so ago. Now the cheapest 10x i have seen i think was $499.

Another thing to watch for is make certain to get decent OPTICAL zoom - digital zoom compromises image quality to much.  I guess this is where the ultra high resolution would be handy though.  It was the 10X optical of the c-700 that sold me on it (it also has a built in 2.7x digital for total of 27x zoom).

I have found the delay in taking a pic to be a problem though with my camera. I absolutely hate the fact i cant get timing right with an action shot.  Have resorted to stuffing some old fashioned film in my ancient (pre digital era!) Canon anytime I want to be certain on timing of pics.  I suspect all but the ultra high end digital cameras may have this issue.  Would be neat to see a comparison chart showing time lag so you could objectively compare.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Thanks Mike, That is one of the most important issues when purchasing a dig camera for action shots, from what I'm gathering, seems most dig-cams have significant shutter lag. For that very reason, I may stay with film for now. Timing is everything when shooting moto. With all this technology, why do they have shutter lag??? :think:

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
i have a sony cybershot 3.2 megapixel. and it works good. it's only like 230 but it only has a 16mb memory stick. i'm happy with it. easy uploading and use.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The key to dealing with shutter lag on most digi cams or at least the two I have owned is to pre focus on your target location and then keep the button 1/2 way down ready to fire until your rider arrives at the target location. If you try to let it use the Auto Focus you'll never get a decent pic without spending huge money on a digi cam.

B

biglou

I'm a big fan of the Sony CD Mavica cameras. Like Chili said, you push the button halfway down and it sets the focus and the "steady shot", then, when you press it the rest of the way, the shutter is instantaneous. Also, the CD Mavica cameras burn right onto a miniCD that you just pop into your CD-ROM drive. The files are already .jpg's. There are a few caveats to these cams, but the bennies far outweigh them, IMO.

Check out Rich's link, too. That site is the shiznit for digicam info. :thumb:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Thank You gentlemen, Some helpful information here. I will look into that Sony mavica.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
If you can swing the extra $ Canon now has a SLR 6.3 megapixel. It is based off the EOS Rebel body and has a shutter speed up to 1/1000sec. there is virtually no lag between pushing the button and shutter and in sport mode will shoot a 4 frame burst at 2.5 frames/sec.
The thing I like is it will take any canon EOS 35 MM autofocus lens you have. A guy at work got one and it is at the top of my wish list after playing with his.
List on the body is $900 and a package with a zoom lens to 150 (?) is $1000 altho the link to dealers in the Steve's review shows $100 less.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Sounds great OG, but thats just too much coin, heck I could buy three steering dampers for that price :laugh:...just dont know what I'd do with the other two though  :think:

I did manage to find this one w/ 8X optical lens, let me know if you guys think  this one will work for me!     Thanks Again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957906134&category=30003[/URL]

Last edited:
B

biglou

I saw that Rebel digital slr that oldguy mentioned on TV. My buddy has a digital slr, not the Rebel, and although pricey, the picture quality is amazing. Just something else to complicate your decision!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by oldguy
If you can swing the extra $ Canon now has a SLR 6.3 megapixel. It is based off the EOS Rebel body and has a shutter speed up to 1/1000sec. there is virtually no lag between pushing the button and shutter and in sport mode will shoot a 4 frame burst at 2.5 frames/sec.
The thing I like is it will take any canon EOS 35 MM autofocus lens you have. A guy at work got one and it is at the top of my wish list after playing with his.
List on the body is $900 and a package with a zoom lens to 150 (?) is $1000 altho the link to dealers in the Steve's review shows $100 less.

Check eBay. My Canon EOS D30 is now 2 years old and can commonly be found very affordable, because folks are movin' on up. It is a 4.1 Megpix, with each photo being about 1.2 Meg. It uses Compact Flash card and therefore has unlimited storage. It also can use any Canon EF lens. All the photos on the DW 02 CD and most of the photos of DW 03 were taken with this camera. The Canon Elph is also good and has the additional feature of being able to make movies with sound. Kinda fun. The mpeg of the start of the first pro moto is on the DW 03 CD.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I carry a Canon A70 (you can probably get an A series camera in your range), which works pretty well for me, either that or I break out the Rebel 35mm that is even better, but the film has to be processed. I want the digital Rebel (or better) but my account keeps saying insufficient funds when I try. On nice thing about the A70 is that it will also shoot short video that is suitable for the web.

Combat767

It's all about the dirt..
Nov 20, 2001
Been Packing a 35mm Canon EOS 650 with a 35 - 70mm and a 70 - 210mm since about 1990. I'll have to dig out the specs on the lenses. I've been waiting for the Digital Rebels to come down in price and I see a couple stores I can get a body only for around $550. My flash and lenses should work, but I'll have to do some double checking.

Anyone using a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, and how do you like it?

Thanks!

Top Bottom