Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Okie,
Would there be any problem with me posting a link to my family's website? I'd like to get some feedback from everyone here.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Link away :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks,

I have recently updated my family's website. If you get a chance, would some of you take a look around the site.
I'm looking for feedback; what can (should) be improved, what is good, and what isn't. Download times are important also. I have T1 at work and Cable at home, so sometimes I forget the dialing population. If there are any pages that take forever to load. Let me know.
Thanks

Click on the Corn Button to go to Salisbury Farm

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I see you've been paid a visit from those beyond. Think you can get them to make me a track?

Attachments

• moby2000full.jpg
    moby2000full.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 235

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I dunno...their mom's pretty fussy about what jobs they take on.
helpers.jpg

If you can get them, they will work for milk, cookies, & the occasional hug!:)

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Cool Idea and Cool site Papakeith :cool:

Tell me you don't get in there with your scoot and do a little creative rotary hoeing before crop planting :p

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Actually.....

[Papakeith hangs head in shame]

my bike(2 stroke) has never churned earth on the farm, and the thumper hasn't done it in over a year. :o

[With his head still lowered, his eyes raise a bit]

But, now that I have a pickup (read bike hauler) I should be able to rectify that situation in another weekend or two!:)

Thanks for the accolades about the site. :)
...any troubles, broken links, ideas for pages,goofed up formatting?

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Idea!

I have an idea or suggestion if you already dont do it. One of the local farmers has a corn maze, nothing close to as cool as yours, and the 2 weeks before Halloween he has a hunted corn maze. You can get the family and friends to help out and make a killing. He only did it on thursday through sunday the 2 weekends before Halloween. I really injoyed the wagon ride to the field and walk through the maze with hidden suprises! Just a thought.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Nice site, well organized and everything loaded fast.
One problem I have is the blue font, hard to read and blurry against the gray back ground.
MMMMM---Strawberries,,,,drool ;)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Re: Idea!

Originally posted by Tree jumper
the 2 weeks before Halloween he has a hunted corn maze. Just a thought.
I dunno Tree jumper, the local authorities might frown on hunting the customers!;)
Seriously, we considered doing the Haunted Maze thing, but the profit produced by one night of haunting wouldn't justify the damage created by it. We run the maze 7 days a week for two months Sept 01 - Oct 31(that is what may queer my quest to get to Spodefest). The Maze needs to last. Any damage done is not repairable.
People tend do enough damage without being given a reason(read - being scared or suprised) to run through the corn. We do run a night time maze 3 or 4 times during the season, no haunting, but people still seem to enjoy it.

Originally posted by KWJams
One problem I have is the blue font, hard to read and blurry against the gray back ground.
Agreed, and changed. Thanks

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Well if you know Pennsylvanians, all we do is Hunt! :p Never said i could spell, dont have to know that to be in this private club, do we? :eek:

The farmer does make a killing in the money aspect which i do think helps make it worth damaging the crops. The run it with a guide in the front and the last person in the group had the only flashlight. That way the monsters would know when to sneek out and scare you from behind. The guide makes sure that no one takes off on their own and gets lost or damages anything. The paths were wide enough for 2 maybe 3 (depending on size) to walk side by side.

One of the stories was that the farmer hated people trespassing on his property. He would chase down trespassers with his quad. That was pretty fun, its pitch black and all you hear is the sound of the quad. It kept getting closer and closer than suddenly he would flip on his lights(with one of those millon candle power spotlights) and blind the crap out of us. Pretty fun!

Oh and as for the site, it looks good. I had no problems with anything loading up and i'm on slow access.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I didn't even notice the misspelling until I had copied the quote. Once I was done chuckling, I figured I'd razz you about it.:p

The farm near you seems like they have a pretty good thing going. Do they have a web address?

The crop damage only bothers me because the next couple through doesn't get the full effect of the maze if joey dimwit and pals have cut new paths on their own. The field itself is just Cow corn.

We never thought of running the maze in such a controlled environment though. It's something to think about.

Generally we take a ticket, and send them in. The paths are all about 6-7 feet wide.There are a couple of us in the maze to help the lost souls. Plus there are a couple of emergency flags and exits if people get into trouble.

At one point we were thinking of doing Haunted Hayrides, but then another farm in the area took up the idea. So, we let that die.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sorry, they dont have a web address that i know of? A friend said they thought about doing the haunted thing for afew years. They use to do the haunted hay ride and starting last year, have the haunted hayride take you to the barn/corn maze and back to where you started. Last year was the first year for them and worked out great. I imagine they will do it again this year.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Never been in a corn maze before so I am not sure what I am talking about.

Can you use the stalks that you cut down for the paths and basket weave them into the sides of the paths so it would be hard to break through and bust down new paths?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
We use Day-glo color tape to mark the path on both sides about 3 feet up from the ground. Once people make a path on their own, we substitute multiple haybales with wooden stakes through them. We could probably put up barbed wire and they would still go over or under it.
Must be human nature. The people are lost, so somehow in their minds they figure that they would be less lost on another path. Go figure! :confused:

To answer your question, probably not. I don't think their are enough stalks cut down to make a weave more than a couple of inches high.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
I meant to use a couple of stalks about railing high, something that would be a hassle to step over and a pain to crawl under. :)

Mainly in the corners and where it would be tempting to cut through to another path section.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Dohh!

Ya know, that might work:) I'll pass it by my brother and see what he thinks.
Thanks for the idea.

Top Bottom